The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Defining Hawking's "Nothing"?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Defining Hawking's "Nothing"?
« on: 30/01/2012 07:35:44 »
Good day, how do we define "nothing"? Since Hawking describes it as possible for a universe, or universes to come from nothing.
As in the link above in the third last paragraph.

No matter, no dimensions?

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Defining Hawking's "Nothing"?
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2012 08:47:55 »
I imagine the book was written with the general public in mind and is an oversimplification of reality.  It is difficult to see how the universe could come literally from nothing but it could come from quantum uncertainty, which is sort of nothing with the possibility of a touch of something.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2012 09:20:03 »
The problem is that we, being creatures of space and time, in a universe dominated by space and time,  tend to think in terms of space and time as fixed properties of a universe however they are in fact emergent properties of a "bulk" that consists of energy (the ability to change?) and momentum (motion).  Most of the things that happen will only contain tiny bits of space and time but If you look at things from that point of view the possibility that the energy and momentum conspire to create something that contains a lot of space and time like our universe seems to be a possibility and if it did if it had the potential to create other things containing large quantities of space and time it would dominate things.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2012 10:41:16 »
 If some ideas, like Smolins for example, are 'correct' we're all 'discrete bits of information'. Those 'bits' could, as some sees it, be of two dimensions, with what we observe becoming a 'holographic reality', describing both our third as well as the fourth (time). String-theory talks about 'one dimensional reality, but they also speaks of 'vibrations' of those higly 'tensed' strings, meaning that they vibrate in a 'plane'. To do that you must presume something for them to 'vibrate in' as i think of it, as a sheet of paper, and that should mean two dimensions although we must include some aspect of 'time'.

Maybe that is it?

'Time' and one dimensional strings? And then 'pressure'? As some fountain, every point in SpaceTime locally defined, projecting and defining what we call our 'reality'? Ah well, any QM-hypothesis/theory today will, finally, either have to exclude or include Einsteins definitions of a 'SpaceTime'. Myself I belive it must be included, and if one fail to consider that, then ones hypothesis most probably will be wrong.

As for 'motion', and 'distance'?
Distance as a description must follow an arrow (of time), without a arrow there can be no distance. And 'motion' in SpaceTime is always a local definition as I understands it. I don't really know what that is. Einstein split it into accelerations which is provable to 'change' and uniform motion as Earths which in some manner seems to be the same for all uniformly moving objects, if you go from 'black box scenarios.

Hope the spelling works here?
Anyway :)

This is how I think of it..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2012 10:41:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums