The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: QED by Richard Feynman  (Read 2104 times)

Offline PAOLO137

• View Profile
QED by Richard Feynman
« on: 03/02/2012 13:32:33 »
I have just finished reading this very well known book by Richard Feynman. I understand he tried to make the subject
suitable to be understood by non-experts, but some aspects are such to generate more questions instead of answering
I will try to make an example. In the book it is written that QED has been capable to give the most precise theoretical
results of all physics if compared with experiment, something like one over ten millions or so. But nothing is said about of what experimental situation or situations we are speaking of. This left me with a sense of unsatisfaction. Can somebody
add some practical detail to Feynman's descriptions?
« Last Edit: 03/02/2012 21:57:28 by chris »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2012 20:24:08 »
If I remember correctly, he referred to electron's gyromagnetic ratio:

Offline origami

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: QED by Richard Feynman
« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2012 03:12:12 »
Fields were invented to explain action at a distance. The only difference is that they are graduated therefore their strengths can be measured. For millennia people have played with magnetic iron filing patterns which suggest that something emanates from one pole and travels around to the other. When it was discovered that a current spinning around a solenoid also generated the same effect on iron filings as magnets did early scientists adopted the same polar principles. They were so committed to the old science that they simply ignored the blindingly obvious fact that the magnetism spins parallel to the current. Thus magnets have clockwise and anticlockwise magnetic poles. They generate magnetic vortexes which obey Bernoulli principles. Co-parallel flows attract, anti-parallel flows repel. Magnets are a construct of thousands of same spinning magnetic vortex columns held together by atomic forces. The magnetism is moving anti-parallel at the interface between neighbouring columns therefore the columns are mutually repulsive. When the vortexes emerge from the poles they are free of atomic restraints so they spray out. Some of them unite with the sprays from the other end. They are self repulsive so spaces occur between filing lines.

Offline Sprool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2012 12:20:18 »
i think origami's post belongs in the Deja Vu thread?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2012 12:20:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums