The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do we tell our kids to eat their crusts?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Sprool

• View Profile
Why do we tell our kids to eat their crusts?
« on: 14/02/2012 12:43:32 »
My two are devils at leaving their crusts - pizzas, sandwiches, toast, you name it. My parents always told me I had to eat the crusts as they were 'the best part'. I say they were the driest and most tasteless part.
Is there any extra or additional nutrition in bread crust or was this just a lame ploy at trying to cut down on  food wastage?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we tell our kids to eat their crusts?
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2012 18:55:18 »
I find things like bread crusts are tasty, but realize that some people don't. 

I doubt there is a particular nutritional need, as crusts are normally starches, which we often get in excess in western society.  And generally, the less cooking the better for vitamins, so the edges of stuff would have more cooking and less nutrition.

There are a number of theories about eating.

I believe in cleaning the plate, and to never put food on one's plate that one doesn't want to eat.  Waste-not, want-not.  And, there are a number of people in the world that are literally dying for what we consider table scraps, so it is the ultimate of gluttony to just throw away food.

However, another theory is that we tend to take eating to excess in western societies, so it may be appropriate to stop eating when one is full.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Why do we tell our kids to eat their crusts?
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2012 18:55:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums