The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What would be left if all the energy and matter were removed from a sample?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline perlhakr

• First timers
    • View Profile
If we subtracted all matter and energy from a particular point, what would be left?

Would there be something or would there be nothing?

I understand that virtual particles would start appearing in a perfect vacuum, as they do in nature. That's not the question I'm asking.

Subtracting all matter and energy, what's left? SOMETHING bends in response to gravity. Does that something exist in the absence of matter?
« Last Edit: 17/02/2012 08:34:01 by chris »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: nature of space time
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2012 20:08:20 »
Nothing should be left as a guess. 'Energy' is a catchword used to describe ?? About anything you can think of, from 'space' to ?? To me it's a description of transformations and what happens 'in between', and as 'SpaceTime' is a whole description in relativity, not really dividable as I understands it, you also get your universal 'closed box' in where that which transforms from one thing to another do so by its 'energy'. So if 'space' would be a form of 'energy' and you take that away, what's left?

Gravity? :)

Nope, not as I think of it. 'Gravity' is according to Einstein the 'metric' of space, giving it its '3D shape'. To get it you either need accelerations or invariant mass. So with no mass, and no accelerations there can be no gravity. But 'space' then, pure 'space'?

It doesn't exist. Not if 'Gravity' is expected to be of a infinite reach, which it is. So a 'space' without gravity? No 3D, no 2D.. 1D? How do you measure a one dimensional 'space'? You can't as far as I can see.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: nature of space time
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2012 20:08:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums