The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: lower body amputation  (Read 5626 times)

Offline ponypatter

• First timers
    • View Profile
lower body amputation
« on: 18/05/2006 20:23:32 »
a was having a discussion about the scenario where someone gets cut in half, say by a flying metal wire. I believe there may be a slim chance to save the patient, if bleeding is stopped and the cut is low enough down to not damage any major organs. I am not saying that they would survive for long, but with only the large intestine and genito-urinary organs damaged, there is a chance of living.
I can't see the film version of events happening (the shocked look, the body sliding off and then death..)
any further things you can add? ever known of any cases?

ROBERT

Re: lower body amputation
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2006 15:42:22 »
There is a radical surgical procedure to treat cancer where the lower half of the body is amputated,
it is called a Hemicorporectomy.
It can occur by trauma as you describe above :-

" Traumatic hemicorporectomy
Many emergency rooms have protocols under which they will not resuscitate or support a patient who has already undergone a severe bisection injury that is essentially a de facto hemicorporectomy. This stance is largely due to very limited rates of survival. A study which cased 267 blunt and penetrating trauma patients (decapitation, hemicorporectomy, &c.) who had cardiopulmonary arrest found that only 7 survived long term, only four of which returned to their previous neurologic level.[4]. Apart from the overwhelming statistical unlikelihood of survival, operative hemicorporectomy is unlikely to be successful unless the patient has the "sufficient emotional and psychological maturity to cope" and "sufficient determination and physical strength to undergo the intensive rehabilitation".[5]

Emergency rooms and ambulance services often release policy which prevents the resucitation of such patients. The UK's National Health Service, for example, in its "Policy and Procedures for the Recognition of Life Extinct" describes traumatic hemicorporectomy as "unequivocally associated with death" and that such injuries should be considered "incompatible with life"[6]. The National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) and the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (COT) have also released similar position statements and policy allowing on-scene personnel to determine such patients unresuscitatable. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemicorporectomy
« Last Edit: 19/05/2006 16:57:47 by ROBERT »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2006 22:34:36 »
Thats like my question a while back, i wanted to know if it was feasibly possible to keep a head and its brain working if cut off from a body and connected to machines to feed it with blood containing the right amounts of minerals ,chemicals etc

Michael
« Last Edit: 19/05/2006 23:25:42 by ukmicky »

ROBERT

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2006 10:55:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Thats like my question a while back, i wanted to know if it was feasibly possible to keep a head and its brain working if cut off from a body and connected to machines to feed it with blood containing the right amounts of minerals ,chemicals etc

Michael

Head transplants are possible Michael:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1263758.stm
Not exactly what you describe above , but it would be a way of keeping a head (brain) alive.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2006 10:55:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums