The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Does Ambient Temp Have To Do With Catching A Cold ?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Coldologists !

As a sheepie I of course am insulated with a fine woolly cloud of insulation joy and thus never ever catch a cold....but take a look at Cecilia Ethelridge Parmesan Fromage The 3rd !

Cecilia Ethelridge Parmesan Fromage The 3rd Being All Coldy !

Nice eh ?...I'd do her....cold or no cold !

Cecilia is suffering from a slight nasal heady thing called a cold.....apparently she went out last night in just a thong and T shirt despite being told that "you'll catch a cold dressed like that...here..take this bow tie and you'll be fine"...well..Cecilia refused the bow tie.....it's pink Shamballa shimmerings clashed with the red sparkly bits of her thong !

What I don't seem to get is ....Isn't a cold a virus thingy ?...what does ambient temperature have to do with it ?...Ewe either catch the virus or ewe don't !...don't cha ?

So why do people say "dress warmly or you'll catch a cold ?"

Do ewe know ?

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Aaa aaa aaa chooooooooooo !!  *le uh oh*
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Re: What Does Ambient Temp Have To Do With Catching A Cold ?
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2012 02:20:26 »
colder air is drier air ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2651255/

Woo !!.....Thank you very much RD.....so...dry air facilitates the transmission of a virus !.....so whether Cecilia was naked or wearing a sleeping bag...this would have no affect on her susceptibility to catching a cold ?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2012 04:50:10 »
That must be a Phantom RD quote above!!!

Obviously there is not spontaneous generation of cold and flu viruses, although they will spontaneously mutate. 

I believe there are multiple factors for the increased prevalence of the cold and flu in the winter.
  • Increased stress of the immune system from the cold weather
  • I find that sometimes I'll get the sniffles just from cold weather.  So, it may create a better environment for the viruses to land in the lungs, as well as spreading more mucous around the environment.
  • School.  Whether or not one has direct contact with school children, undoubtedly we all have contact with someone who does.  The increased social contacts during the school year allow for the cold and flu to spread easier.
  • Perhaps people spending more time, on average, inside
  • If the viruses are damaged by drying out, then the more moisture in the air, the longer they can last outside of the body.  Perhaps the cold is also protective for the viruses when they are outside of the body.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2012 09:00:52 »
"Cecilia Ethelridge Parmesan Fromage The 3rd"

Complete balderdash! My MP is going to hear about this.

Obviously, that is
Cecilia Ethelridge Parmesan Fromage The 4th.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2012 11:45:21 »
That must be a Phantom RD quote above!!!

Obviously there is not spontaneous generation of cold and flu viruses, although they will spontaneously mutate. 

I believe there are multiple factors for the increased prevalence of the cold and flu in the winter.
  • Increased stress of the immune system from the cold weather
  • I find that sometimes I'll get the sniffles just from cold weather.  So, it may create a better environment for the viruses to land in the lungs, as well as spreading more mucous around the environment.
  • School.  Whether or not one has direct contact with school children, undoubtedly we all have contact with someone who does.  The increased social contacts during the school year allow for the cold and flu to spread easier.
  • Perhaps people spending more time, on average, inside
  • If the viruses are damaged by drying out, then the more moisture in the air, the longer they can last outside of the body.  Perhaps the cold is also protective for the viruses when they are outside of the body.

Thanks Clifford....Ok...so the only reason to wear clothing is to not cause the body stress and thus make it not so susceptible to catching a cold ie: temperature affects the immune system eh ?

Gosh !...me is learning stuff !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2012 11:46:40 »
"Cecilia Ethelridge Parmesan Fromage The 3rd"

Complete balderdash! My MP is going to hear about this.

Obviously, that is
Cecilia Ethelridge Parmesan Fromage The 4th.

Well they are twins !....what's a number between siblings ?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2012 11:49:25 »
so the only reason to wear clothing is to not cause the body stress and thus make it not so susceptible to catching a cold ie: temperature affects the immune system eh ?
Well, that, and many societies will throw you in the slammer for strolling around downtown in your Birthday Suit.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2012 11:49:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length