The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can the Raspberry Pi get people programming?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can the Raspberry Pi get people programming?
« on: 21/02/2012 18:13:54 »
Raspberry Pi is a computer the size of a credit card; it will sell for about 20 and could turn your TV into a home computer.  The first units are set to arrive in Britain this week.  Co-inventor David Braben, from Frontier Developments in Cambridge, explains more...
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here

« Last Edit: 21/02/2012 18:13:54 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Raspberry Pi get people programming?
« Reply #1 on: 21/02/2012 19:54:36 »

I can imagine an initial flurry of sales.  But, in the end, I don't expect it to endure for long.  It is just far too limited, and many people will run into its severe limitations.

$35 isn't bad, but there are so many computers now available, that one might as well do the programming in a real PC.  If one desires, one could buy a 5+ yr old PC, run linux on it.  Download high quality C++ or Java development systems.  And, perhaps be out $100 for a complete system.

The market it is competing in is the "Basic Stamp" market.  The nice advantage of the Raspberry is that it is very self-contained, whereas the Basic Stamp requires additional modules, and perhaps even a computer to program it.

But, for the Raspberry to survive, they will have to start coming up with add-ons.

Onboard Video
A few GAMES  [xx(]
Wired and Wireless keyboards
GPIO I think is "General Purpose Input/Output"...  so it needs some cool stuff to attach to the GPIO.
Also, if it is being connected to the TV, make sure things like streaming video will work.

ONE USB Port?  I think I would have put on a half a dozen.  Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, IO, etc.

HDMI is good.  1080P is good.  But, I would make sure it is capable of standard computer resolutions, especially since most modern computer monitors (those that support HDMI) are pretty picky about resolutions.

In theory, many LINUX embedded devices are programmable.  So, for example, one can reprogram one's linksys router if one wants.  The advantage of the Raspberry is a bit better general purpose IO.

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2012 10:07:18 »
Honestly, i can see this being popular and useful for a while. It could be used for a super cheap XMBC media centre connected to your TV. It could be used for robotics. Cheap in home servers(with the UK and US governments becoming spy happy, an in home server seems more and more attractive). You could also use these for in home automation.

Were these things going for around 100 USD like your average plug computer with similiar specs, i would totally agree, but at $35 dollars, that is about as much as a pub steak meal in Australia. The cost barrier is so low, purchasing one doesn't really take a second thought.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2012 10:07:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums