The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How is light produced from an atom?  (Read 18713 times)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How is light produced from an atom?
« Reply #25 on: 04/03/2012 20:10:25 »
No.  A photon isn't a packet of waves, but a packet of waves is made up of photons.  It doesn't make logical sense if you don't understand the logic of quantum mechanics, unfortunately, since quantum objects don't follow the rules of logic that dictate how everyday objects/waves behave. 

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #26 on: 05/03/2012 08:29:17 »
I have mixed feelings about that last statement JP.  I agree that the potential for a range of frequencies to be detected in a single given photon exists but to allow this a non linear detection process must be used.  If a linear detection process is used the photon observed is always the same frequency as the source that generated it.  If this was not the case spectroscopy would not be possible.  This tends to imply that a photon is a single frequency wave packet.

The time duration of the detection process therefore defines the bandwidth of the observation

Offline greeniemax

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05/03/2012 08:32:38 »
You are right about that after studying QM for 5 years with different books (as I'm too old to go to college here), I find QM doesn't make logical sense from the day I started till today, read and heard lots of books, watched many lectures on iTuneU but seriously either my mind is not ready to accept it as logic or people just call it logic when its not at all.

Personally in my opinion logic should be something that make sense to you and has a well defined mechanics, I really couldn't find any answer for production of light on internet, it just simply isn't clear, its like coming half the way and it ends, its actually like watching half the movie so either you don't know what happened in start or how it ended.

Maybe we don't have complete information and just trying to come up with a picture that cannot be understood or we are on wrong path and trying to correct it with twitches from side.

Overall I'm totally confused, but thanks for your efforts to try to make me understand, specially JP and Cheese.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 05/03/2012 08:32:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums