The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A life is nothing?  (Read 6148 times)

Offline RRR

• View Profile
A life is nothing?
« on: 19/05/2006 13:28:07 »
William Shakespeare did write that  a life  is nothing.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing." (W. Shakespeare, "Macbeth", Act 5 )

A life is nothing? Do you agree with the opinion of  Shakespeare?
What is a life's sense for you?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: A life is nothing?
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2006 14:01:11 »
This is why we need a philosophy forum.

I have to say I disagree with Shakespeare.

In his defence he was writing that as part of a play and it may not have been his true opinion. Though, his own belief may have swayed him to write such a thing....or that it was the correct thing to cite in the context of the play.

If one believes that there is more to existence than this life then perhaps the statement has merit.......

....., If our few years of this existence is just part of a grander scheme then there may be some truth to it.

Again, it just leads to a debate about the nature of existence and as to whether there is more (or none) after this life has ended........and if there was an existence before.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline suncorpse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2006 14:45:09 »
RRR, thanks for the topic, and the quotes of Shakespeare.
in my opinion life is everything if we live with a better foresights and full of positive attitude and by keeping great enthusiasm with a high spirit of living style.

Offline time-cop

• Making tomorrow safe today .
    • View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2006 00:17:59 »
im afraid our history has shown that william is right,life is nothing,we destroy,our own species without a thought,as for other species on this planet,they dont stand a chance,if we dont hunt them to extinction,then we destroy their habitat for gain,or put them on show,if life is precious then it has to be all life,we cannot let one more species go the way of the dodo,many are very close to it,the californian condor story is one that needs repeating all over the globe with many creatures,every country needs to do its share,to stop the destruction of habitat and animals alike,otherwise a lot of them will be just pictures in a book or photo`s,example thylacine, Ray

http://www.armybarmy.org

Offline alucard1-1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/05/2006 10:05:24 »
I think I have to agree with time-cop...  in my experience life may be *something* but the way a lot of people treat it makes it nothing.  And in my personal experience, this is a major problem especially in the US.

Offline suncorpse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/05/2006 11:59:46 »
life is nothing but a bunch of pleasures and education if we could learn from it.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/05/2006 22:19:26 »
This is a rather nihilist view of life. Were sentience not valuable, even if only in an evolutionary role, it would not be. Besides, one must realize the quotation is from "The Scotish Play." The person who speaks these lines has just recieved the news his wife is dead and in a very poor state of mind. He is regretting his actions and in a state of dejection. This is one of the reasons I do not like Shakepear quoted out of context.

If life were a folly, with our sentience we would not strive to survive in the face of all opposition. It is more than a biological imperative. We can decide iof we are going ot survive. Others who have not faced death will chalk it up to a bilological imperative. IF ONE HAS NOT LOOK DEATH IN THE FACE AND SAID "NO" then there is NO understanding my position.

Survival is a matter of will.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline time-cop

• View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #7 on: 27/05/2006 20:26:50 »
Try it from the wrong end of a kalashnikov,or see young men youve ordered into action,return in a bag,or have mates hit next to you,yeh, i reakon a lot of people have faced death as you say,my point is,we as a species dont seem to have much regard for our own kind,we only seem to want our genes to progress,to the detriment of all others,that seems to be the way of nature,survival of the fittest,as for humans,we are,"and ive said this before"capable of such wonderfull careing deeds pity we dont do more of them.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/05/2006 00:48:41 »
Point noted. Yet neglecting the majority of the population that does the best they can to live and allow others, man and beast, to live as well is negleting the positive actions of people in the world. Of course "humans" are doing all that is being discussed, but they are also surviving in the face of incredable odds. The person who destroys habitat one day has probably also seen his family starve, children die, disease take friends and has very, very little more than his knife and his clothes. That this man has lived to be an adult is a major victory for him.

Each side has its own story. You have the side of your story with war and the loss. But what about the times before and after you have provided a kindness to someone? To lump everyone and every society into the same mold is not fair nor is it accurate. It is even less accurate to lump all stories into one.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/05/2006 02:51:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by RRR

William Shakespeare did write that  a life  is nothing.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing."
(W. Shakespeare, "Macbeth", Act 5 )

A life is nothing? Do you agree with the opinion of  Shakespeare?
What is a life's sense for you?

I certainly agree with JimBobs appraisal and that Shakespeare out of context does not do Shakespeare justice.

,...however...I am not a student of Shakespeare but I think the words underlined are very important as they define the nature of the individuals sanity whom has cited the statement......

It's not a statement of fact that life is nothing.......... it is ,in fact, a  citation that life is everything !!!!....

If I have interpreted it correctly, then I change my mind and agree with it.

I now understand it that the true meaning behind the quote is that life is everything

Shakespeare is saying that 'life's ' definition , by an idiot, is meaningless.......

...and is displaying the 'idiots ' state of mind.

« Last Edit: 28/05/2006 03:49:06 by neilep »

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 28/05/2006 14:49:59 »
Life is a concept, and thus has no tangible reality, although it has an intangible, if ill defined, one.

George

Offline time-cop

• View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #11 on: 30/05/2006 01:37:03 »
yes jim-bob,i stand corrected,we cant lump it all together,memory is a horrible thing,
neil of course,ever logical,has put it how i never could,we do far to much word twisting,and phrase bending to suit our own ends.
and i should shut my pie hole till i know what im talking about.[xx(]

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 30/05/2006 02:04:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by time-cop

Try it from the wrong end of a kalashnikov,or see young men youve ordered into action,return in a bag,or have mates hit next to you,yeh, i reakon a lot of people have faced death as you say,my point is,we as a species dont seem to have much regard for our own kind,we only seem to want our genes to progress,to the detriment of all others,that seems to be the way of nature,survival of the fittest,as for humans,we are,"and ive said this before"capable of such wonderfull careing deeds pity we dont do more of them.

I think this does demonstrate something very important about life.

You are right, the value of life, in any quantitative sense, is minimal.  The men you talk of were willing to throw away their physical life for something that was more important to them than the blood pumping through their arteries.  I am not talking about the nominal political aims of whatever it was that they were fighting for, but that their own life was worth less to them then their role within their social group, then not letting down their mates.

Our lives are worth nothing in themselves, since ultimately it will all be forfeit anyway; but our relationships to those around us are what is important in our lives, and it is that which is more important to us than life itself.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/05/2006 03:15:33 »
So, even though individually we are more than the sum of our own parts, we, ourselves,as individuals, are part of a greater whole.

I wonder if young people who sign up for service think seriously that they are in fact also signing up for the possibility that they may well be put in a potentially fatal situation.

Are they signing away their rights to decide about their own self existence ?

What about you Ray ?...how old were you when you joined up young man !...Is it something which is hit home when you sign up ?

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 30/05/2006 10:44:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
So, even though individually we are more than the sum of our own parts, we, ourselves,as individuals, are part of a greater whole.

I think the analogy with our being greater than the sum of our parts is indeed a good analogy, as apoptosis is a requirement for the development and survival of any multicellular organism, and so each cell will willingly give up its own life for the benefit of the greater organism.

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 30/05/2006 10:44:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums