The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

If you lived in a Hurricane prone area, would you support a small increase in your income taxes, to fund a hurricane prevention system as described in this post?

Author Topic: Changing the temperature of water (this is alot more interesting that you think)  (Read 8540 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Coincidentally, the BBC screened ’Orbit: Earth’s Extraordinary Journey’ (part 1) on Sunday, (part two next Sunday), in which Dr Helen Czerski touched on the relevance of hurricanes and their effect on the bigger picture of weather systems around the world.

Lou, I think your poll is missing an option. While I realise that you are more interested in the taxpayers willingness to cough up a little extra to pay for your scheme, I still think you should include an ecological opt out option; vis – ‘No, I do not want Man to interfere with global weather systems.’

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Lou, I think your poll is missing an option. While I realise that you are more interested in the taxpayers willingness to cough up a little extra to pay for your scheme, I still think you should include an ecological opt out option; vis – ‘No, I do not want Man to interfere with global weather systems.’

Nice thought, Don, but the cat is already well and truly out of that bag!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Damocles,
Weather<> climate

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Damocles,
Weather<> climate

Point taken, but climate is a strong determining factor of weather! Certainly larger numbers of more intense tropical storms is generally recognized as a direct consequence of any global warming that might occur. "Generally recognized" means seen in theoretical treatments, in computer climate modelling, and observed over last decade or two.

Insurance companies tend to be among the more conservative elements in our society, and they have been so drastically affected that they have been among the first of the conservative crowd to recognize the reality of global warming.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums