The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is My Microwaved Cup Hotter Than It's Contents ?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Darling,

This is a very difficult letter to write . I am writing to say that it's over between us.  It with with deep regret that I put pen to paper like this , but your need to introduce poultry and root vegetables into our relationship makes this a lamentable woe...For Heavens sake..I can barely walk this morning !!...

erhmm....AH !....TNS yes yes...not parchment and ink !!

Dearest Klevur peeps,

As a sheepy I just luff to microwave stuff all the time. It's all I think about really, be it a soup, a potato or even a cup of milk....Krazy eh ?........oh my !..the list is endless !!!

looky here !

It's a photo of my cup in a  microwave just moments ago !

My Cup In A Microwave Just Moments Ago

Nice eh ?

After thirty seconds the cup was considerably hotter than it's contents !!

Why's that ?...Why Is My Microwaved Cup Hotter Than It's Contents ?

Do ewe know ?

I don't !..that's why I'm asking !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwha mwah !

neil
TNS Is Not My Parchment And Ink !..DOH !!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why Is My Microwaved Cup Hotter Than It's Contents ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/02/2012 16:49:26 »
It's not microwave proof.  Instead of being more or less transparent to microwaves (like it should be) and allowing the microwaves to get to the food - it is in fact absorbing the microwaves, heating up itself, and shielding the nourishing sheep-drink from the heat-giving waves.

It would prob get hot even if it had nothing in it!  I guess it could have lost some of its glaze and the porous ceramic has got water throughout it - or something similar.  Do not use it in a microwave again - if you give it too long a burst it could get really hot and shatter or burn the royal ovine lip.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/02/2012 16:59:25 »
It's not microwave proof.  Instead of being more or less transparent to microwaves (like it should be) and allowing the microwaves to get to the food - it is in fact absorbing the microwaves, heating up itself, and shielding the nourishing sheep-drink from the heat-giving waves.

It would prob get hot even if it had nothing in it!  I guess it could have lost some of its glaze and the porous ceramic has got water throughout it - or something similar.  Do not use it in a microwave again - if you give it too long a burst it could get really hot and shatter or burn the royal ovine lip.

Thank ewe so very much for your ever so quick response imatfaal. I was going to mention that how could it get hot with no liquid inside it but ewe then further mention that it's a porosity issue.

Oh gosh !...I will be careful and thank ewe very much for your kind consideration with regard to my ovine lip...fortunately I have an official taster who suffers the slings and arrows of outrageous cuisine on my behalf !...phew !!...thank goodness for the working class proletariat !

Thanks again...I will immediately request a new mug that passes the microwave test !

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/02/2012 18:10:07 »
ive noticed the micrwave plastic containers dont heat up anywhere near as much  BUT if u capture the cups heat, it'll result in a differentized brewing schedule?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2012 17:37:11 »
ive noticed the micrwave plastic containers dont heat up anywhere near as much  BUT if u capture the cups heat, it'll result in a differentized brewing schedule?

Gosh CZARCAR..I'm not too sure I can handle a differentized brewing schedule...Do ewe think Google Calendar can help here ?  ::)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/03/2012 00:08:09 »

Gosh CZARCAR..I'm not too sure I can handle a differentized brewing schedule...Do ewe think Google Calendar can help here ?  ::)
dunno, i'm a burro, not a sheepie BUT when i mycrowave my burritos & the plate comes out hot, I cover it with a pot lid so to let it steep?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 12/03/2012 00:08:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums