The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: can two men have a baby?  (Read 16637 times)

Offline hornybeast

• First timers
    • View Profile
can two men have a baby?
« on: 01/03/2012 04:30:15 »
Is it possible to separate x and y chromosome and combine them again, so two sperm or egg cells and produce a fertilization egg, fully functional to develop a baby with least possible gene defects?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: can two men have a baby?
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2012 06:33:43 »
two (genetically modified) female mice can ... http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2007/08/20-02.html

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2012 06:59:40 »
Cloning, of course, is taking non egg DNA and inserting it into an egg.  It has been moderately successful with non-human hosts, but there were apparently some genetic problems.  So, one could take DNA from a single adult male and create a viable offspring.

It is possible to insert a single sperm into an egg as a fertility treatment. 

I would be curious about the result of inserting two sperm into an enucleated egg...  just make sure one doesn't produce a YY blastocyst.

Offline hornybeast

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2012 07:21:38 »
The reason I'm asking this is I'm a gay man, and I want a baby of my own, or with the man I love. Looks like two women are easier to get one.
Ok, another one, is it possible man can get pregnant, like the concept of artificial heart device that stimulate womb environment(seems one of mystery that baby infection free zone not yet cracked?)
Or the test-tube baby thing can develop to egg like incubation outside human body? I know It's a bit like sci-fi crazy ideas, but just like medicine treating to an early born baby, I think it's one of fields that has been studied on somehow.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2012 10:19:49 »
For a man getting pregnant, that would require very major surgery, because a womb is required, so only womb-men, better known as women, can get pregnant at this time.
And not only a functional womb is required, but the male body will also need to be able to produce all the female pregnancy hormones in the correct doses, so you'll need female glands as well.
Certainly in our lifetime, this kind of surgery will not be possible.

As for making a baby with your boyfriend/husband, that might be possible if you would find a surrogate mother to carry your child the whole nine months.
In the USA, there's a clinic that can already select sperm cells on whether they'll produce a son or a daughter, so maybe they'll be able to take an X and Y sperm cell and introduce it in an empty primed egg (or two X sperm cells if you would like to have a daughter).
And also in the USA, you'll be likely to find a surrogate mother to carry the world's first "double-sperm-cell-child" if you can promise her 15 minutes of national television air time ;)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2012 11:10:39 »
If you go the surrogate route, perhaps you could mix sperm from both "fathers"... with a normal egg, and thus not know, at least at first, which one was the actual father.

There was a 1996 movie called Junior where Arnold Schwarzenegger played the role as a man getting pregnant.

There is some precedence to think that it might in fact be possible. 

There are rare, extremely high risk pregnancies called ectopic pregnancies in which an egg will get fertilized and implanted outside of the uterus.  Usually if the pregnancies are detected, they are terminated, but on occasion they progress to full term.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7427907.stm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1823771/pdf/canmedaj00756-0052.pdf

In theory, an embryo could implant in a male similar to an ectopic pregnancy, and proceed to full term, at great risk to both the father and the baby. 

Due to hormones, only a male fetus could be implanted in a male surrogate with any chance of normal development.  Blastocysts can be tested for male/female sex very early in development.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2012 11:10:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums