The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are space storms liable to get worse?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Are space storms liable to get worse?
« on: 08/03/2012 09:48:51 »
With warnings to aircraft of a space storm on its way from the sun and the sun yet to reach the peak of its cycle, are we more vulnerable to such events today than we were in the past?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17295337

Post by koobya click to view.

Offline koobya

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Are space storms liable to get worse?
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2012 18:24:38 »
Shrunk
I have been studying star patterns, and I subscribe to the theory that we are on a bilateral orbit with another star. We are at a point in our Galaxy where the Sun goes to refuel. This refueling proses goes on for about three thousand years as part of the sun's 24,000 year cycle. This is a brilliant illustration of  the fact that natural processes that we see here on earth do not end at the edge of our atmosphere. The sun has reached its watering hole and it is going to drink all it can before its long journey back out into space. We are in for a wild ride.

Post by yor_on click to view.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2012 20:09:02 »
Shrunk
W00f?

:)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2012 11:02:53 »
With warnings to aircraft of a space storm on its way from the sun and the sun yet to reach the peak of its cycle, are we more vulnerable to such events today than we were in the past?

Definitely more vulnerable - so much reliance on stuff that is in effect a massive aerial.  Did you watch the horizon on it?  Will still be on iplayer  for a few days.  I liked the UK energy policy - link everything!  They open (or should that be close in this situation) all the switches and even turn on extra and normally unused power lines; Only Connect!  the bigger and more interconnected the grid the more the safe earth points and fewer places where too much zap tries to get to ground in a dangerous direction

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2012 11:27:49 »

.......  Did you watch the horizon on it? 

Yes, I saw that. Very interesting.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/2012 11:33:26 »
We are heading to the peak of the next solar cycle (Solar Cycle 24).  However, most indications are that this will be a relatively weak solar cycle.

From the NASA Website

At the peak, one would expect more strong solar flares, but perhaps not as strong as previous solar maxima.

Oddly, there seems to be much more activity in the northern hemisphere of the sun than the southern hemisphere of the sun during this solar cycle.  I'm not sure what the implications of that will be.  Will there be a large increase in strong activity from the south to catch up?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2012 11:41:57 »
I read that sunspot AR1429, imaged above, is 7 times wider than Earth; an awesome statistic.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2012 14:19:27 »

Oddly, there seems to be much more activity in the northern hemisphere of the sun than the southern hemisphere of the sun during this solar cycle.  I'm not sure what the implications of that will be.

Not sure if I misheard or perhaps misunderstood what was said on the Horizon prog that imatfaal mentioned, but I think the suggestion was that southern activity has a greater effect on Earth, due to its polarity.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/03/2012 16:32:23 »

Oddly, there seems to be much more activity in the northern hemisphere of the sun than the southern hemisphere of the sun during this solar cycle.  I'm not sure what the implications of that will be.

Not sure if I misheard or perhaps misunderstood what was said on the Horizon prog that imatfaal mentioned, but I think the suggestion was that southern activity has a greater effect on Earth, due to its polarity.
  I think it was solely the polarity - which i dont think has a great deal to do with which solar hemisphere the ejection comes from

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 09/03/2012 16:32:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums