The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is graphene so special?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why is graphene so special?
« on: 08/03/2012 18:48:01 »
ben.park asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hi,

There has been a lot of coverage in the news recently on the supermaterial graphene. What makes it so special and what are its possible applications? Could it be used to construct a space elevator for example?

Great show! Thanks

Ben Park
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/03/2012 18:48:01 by _system »

Offline annie123

• View Profile
Re: Why is graphene so special?
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2012 19:54:21 »
Wikipedia and many other sites on Google will tell you - but i wrote to Andre Geim and he sent me a copy of his article from The International journal of modern Physics
Volume 25 #30 Dec. 10, 2011
'Random Walk to graphene" which gives his Nobel lecture - I guess you could get it from the Nobel site too. This gives a pretty good overview of the whole thing.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2012 20:03:38 »
The way it's layered make it very special. You can lift it off one atomic layer at a time quite easy, so you can get it very 'small'. and graphene leads electricity better than metal. Sometimes it's called 2-dimensional, referring to that the atoms are 'naked', one layer thick only which creates very special 'motions' if compared to the way a metal share its 'free electrons' in a 3-D environment, layer on layer. And you can manipulate that '2-D' layer by chemicals making into as small 'logic circuits' as we ever will be able to make classically.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2012 10:57:37 »
Wikipedia and many other sites on Google will tell you - but i wrote to Andre Geim and he sent me a copy of his article from The International journal of modern Physics
Volume 25 #30 Dec. 10, 2011
'Random Walk to graphene" which gives his Nobel lecture - I guess you could get it from the Nobel site too. This gives a pretty good overview of the whole thing.

Very cool - both to just sit down and write to the prizewinner himself, and of him to reply with a decent response.  I am gonna try that - I wouldn't have dreamt of just writing and asking a question to a nobel prize winner, but when I think of it mine is a very silly attitude.  Cheers

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2012 10:57:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums