The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is a febrile convulsion and why do they occur?  (Read 1816 times)

Online chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I was asked on the radio today about febrile convulsions.

Before I talk more about them, has anyone here experienced this first hand?

Chris

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is a febrile convulsion and why do they occur?
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2012 11:24:28 »
Yeah - but not that I remember.  I had a very nasty dose of chicken pox as a kid and my temperature sky-rocketed much higher than normal - I still ain't a fan of herpes zoster, as I get shingles back every so often and it is debilitating.  Luckily the house was full of doctors - but apparently it wasn't a pretty sight and very scary.   I have also had to help a child who was having a febrile convulsion - luckily I was with my brother and his family (3 medics) so my job was keep the two siblings of the child distracted from their little sisters trouble

Offline Lmnre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2012 17:46:30 »
When my oldest son was a year or two old, he had the flu or something and developed a fever. We treated him to the point where we thought he was too hot. Then I picked him up, gently cradled his limp body loosely in my arms, and brought him to the bathroom, where we had drawn -- or were drawing -- a cool water bath (I think the water was still running).

As soon as I entered the bathroom, he immediately suffered a convulsion. The activation sequence of his body's muscles caused him to rotate about the longitudinal axis of his body (ie, the axis that passes through the head, body and legs) in the cradle of my arms, and he nearly rolled out before I got him under control and quickly into the water. As a technically-minded person, I realized afterwards that the activation sequence of his body's muscles (probably along with gravity and my cradling arms {ie, supports near both ends without much support in the middle}) caused him to rotate, and this sequencing (he made at least a few rotations) probably occurred due to misfiring sequences in the "animal level" of his brain. Perhaps I have read more into the cause of his spinning than was true, but I don't think so.

Knowing the little that I do about epileptic fits, I wonder if the bathroom's bright light or the sound of running water helped to trigger the convulsion in his brain already weakened and susceptible by the fever.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2012 15:53:42 »
fact ? thAT the spasm results in a rotation makes me wonder about boreallis?

Offline Lmnre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2012 20:36:54 »
What is boreallis?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2012 20:36:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums