The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the cacophony of Linux distributions good? Bad?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Is the  cacophony of Linux distributions good?  Bad?

In the Linux world, there are at least a half a dozen major Linux versions, and dozens of minor versions all being developed in parallel.  Redhat/Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva, Slackware, etc. 

There are a few "office suites"...  recently the best Linux office suite, OpenOffice, was "forked" to make OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

While I'm all about choice, it just seems like too much redundancy in effort.  A little more effort put into fewer products, and perhaps one could clean up some of the frustrating little things that keeps Linux from becoming a mainstream OS.  I suppose the kernel is still relatively uniform between distributions, I think.  However, there are enough differences between distributions that one almost must have a distribution specific version and release of each program.

Right now, I'm wanting to try a package I've located called LibreOffice-Mono.  Fortunately it comes in RPM format which Fedora tends to like, but this seems to be specific to a different distribution, SUSE.  I may try to track down all the pieces to get it to run with Fedora, but at the moment, I find myself downloading a new OS.  Anyway, it seems all too common that I'll find a neat utility for the wrong distribution.    Or, a solution to a problem that was written for a different distribution.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is the cacophony of Linux distributions good? Bad?
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2012 17:51:46 »
I find the office programmes a little bit clunky too.  Libre Office is very cool - but I struggle to do the things with calc that I could do with excel, perhaps it is only a matter of time to learn.    What music application do you use in Fedora - it is the big gap for me.  Amarok just doesn't cut it.  Would welcome any suggestions.

Everything else aside - I had a pc that had no OS and before the hard disk died was struggling to run the latest MS offering.   A bit of Fedora later I have a pc that is much faster than it ever was, the software cost me nothing, and I am a happy camper. 

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #2 on: 14/03/2012 13:10:52 »
Linux is unfortunately more about being accomplished by "open source development" principles and being essentially freeware. So no chance of achieving a direct model of development when it will thus from that point be unclear who and what and when a developed computing solution occurs of software creation because it is donated contributions.

If you want to look at it by a flip side point then its quite good to have geek creativity encouraged by something akin to freedom of expression or freedom of computer language speach, or you would not have the same effect with a direct singular "solve each requirement in the parameters" model, around now you would have "something alike" only puppy linux as the only distribution and add-ons of software because of strict regime of controls for the final whole product.
« Last Edit: 14/03/2012 13:12:47 by nicephotog »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2012 09:52:38 »
What music application do you use in Fedora - it is the big gap for me.  Amarok just doesn't cut it.  Would welcome any suggestions
Sorry, I'm not big on computer audio.  I thought I had downloaded a player once, but a few major upgrades later, and it is nowhere to be found.  Much of my audio is fed through MPlayer, an effective, but less than optimum solution as the controls aren't designed for audio.

I was dabbling with Audacity the other day.  It was a bit cumbersome, but effective for simple sound edits.

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2012 08:08:24 »
I wonder if Xine has audio edit equipment? (the same player is also under another name - see sourceforge.net)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2012 08:08:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums