The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the Wiki-Generation takes another victim?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Does the Wiki-Generation takes another victim?
« on: 15/03/2012 10:47:31 »
It appears as if another mainstay has fallen victim to the Wiki Generation.

Encyclopedia Brittanica has now stopped publishing printed encyclopedias, after 244 years of publication.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/last-entry-for-encyclopaedia-britannica-book-form/239351-11.html

I must admit that occasionally I do grab a dictionary, but I can't remember the last time I cracked open an encyclopedia.  They do make good weights for projects such as flattening things though  ;)

There was a question a while ago about what would be left if there was a calamity that would knock out our computer web...  what would be left?  Perhaps I should fork out the $1395 for the encyclopedia to put into a bomb shelter...  if I ever get around to building one.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Re: Does the Wiki-Generation takes another victim?
« Reply #1 on: 16/03/2012 21:55:00 »
From CliffordK:
There was a question a while ago about what would be left if there was a calamity that would knock out our computer web...  what would be left?  Perhaps I should fork out the $1395 for the encyclopedia to put into a bomb shelter...  if I ever get around to building one.

What a great idea, Cliff!
I have been wondering what to do with my set (1962 vintage) which are sitting idle and unsalable in the study.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2012 09:57:20 »
I prefer the Arthur Mee childrens encyclpedia that tells you how to make crystal radios and telphones and all manner of useful things.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2012 09:57:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length