The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is a Tasco 114mm by 900mm a good telescope?  (Read 8197 times)

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
Is a Tasco 114mm by 900mm a good telescope?
« on: 19/03/2012 22:30:34 »
i recently got a telescope of my friend, Is this any good. It is a tasco 114mm x 900mm. thank you
« Last Edit: 22/03/2012 16:09:18 by chris »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Help me out please
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2012 23:10:21 »
The telescope you refer to is a good entry level small newtonian reflecting telescope mainly intended for astronomical observations although some of the catalogues suggest it is suitable for terrestrial observations as well but there is no mention of an erect image eyepiece or prism and without one the image will be upside down.

It will give good views of the moon.  It should show the moons and basic details of Jupiter and Saturn and the phase of Venus and maybe a bit of detail on Mars at opposition (as it is now).  it should separate double stars down to around 3 seconds of arc  say castor in Gemini and show the brighter nebulae like Orion and Andromeda.  Get out and use it as soon as possible all these are visible at the moment!

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2012 09:51:45 »
... or are you just interested in how much you can ask for it on eBay? :P

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2012 13:56:22 »
Firstly it would cost more 2 package and send it, than i,d get for it.  secondly , yes the images are upside down how do i correct this. ?

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2012 22:28:15 »
The best way to find out if it's any good is to try looking through it at Saturn (look for a bright star which doesn't flicker, somewhere to the south east in the late evening - you'll know it's the right one when you see it because it'll have handles) and see if you can detect its biggest moon Titan - you should be able to see Titan moving from night to night, so you'll soon find out if it's really it or just a background star. With a birdwatching telescope it's possible to see Titan if you don't look directly at it. If the optics of your telescope are any good, you should still be able to see it even if you look directly at it. If you have trouble finding Titan, get your eye in first by watching the moons of Jupiter for a few nights (though it isn't well placed any more - look for it in the west at first dark).

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/03/2012 10:14:53 »
Nice tips David.  Jupiter and Venus have been nice companions for me (and each other) on my walk home from the station every night for the last few weeks. 

Kierae - you can use this site to work out where to look in the night sky, or understand what you are looking at

http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

Plug in your coordinates (I use the compass ap on iphone to get mine - although because I basically live on the prime meridian I can normally remember 51 N 00 E) and the time and you get a star and planet map.  It will take a deal of time to work out what is going on - but that's the fun.

Offline Phractality

• View Profile
Re: Is a Tasco 114mm by 900mm a good telescope?
« Reply #6 on: 22/03/2012 18:31:12 »
You can see an erect image of terrestrial scenes by standing beside the front of the scope with the top of your head toward the back of the scope.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Is a Tasco 114mm by 900mm a good telescope?
« Reply #6 on: 22/03/2012 18:31:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums