The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do science and religion have any common ground?  (Read 23975 times)

Offline Finding the Elephant

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Do science and religion have any common ground?
« Reply #75 on: 23/03/2015 10:58:26 »
Separating science and religion in an absolute sense is like unscrambling an egg, especially when you consider religion (ie Islam) invented the scientific method in the 13th Century. While they are different kinds of knowledge both need to be considered together to understand both mechanics and meaning, the two sides of the coin of existence, like matter and consciousness, wave forms and particles, nature vs nurture even. The tendency of some to perceive them as opposites merely points to and inability to comprehend a bigger picture within which the work together. As we gain a better understanding of existence, the paradoxes start to fall. It takes people able to see the bigger picture to show the way, e.g., like how Edward Witten showed that the 5 seemingly conflicting string theories could become complementary with the addition of another dimension.

Besides, if they have no common ground, how come the current pope believes in Evolution. How come Darwin believed in a creator (he was a deist) and Newton was as much as theologian as a physicist? And it is not fair or just to patronize these greats with suggestions that they may have different beliefs if they were armed with today's knowledge. It also ignores the many great scholars we have today who are able grasp the bigger picture in which the existence of one does not destroy the other.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 23/03/2015 17:08:47 »
And it is not fair or just to patronize these greats with suggestions that they may have different beliefs if they were armed with today's knowledge. It also ignores the many great scholars we have today who are able grasp the bigger picture in which the existence of one does not destroy the other.

It is not fair not to suggest that they may have had different beliefs if they were armed with today's knowledge. They did not see the arguments that disprove God.

You're right on some of the earlier things you said - religion often was a kind of science in the early days. If you shout into an empty cave and someone shouts back at you, there's obviously a spirit in there.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27/03/2015 12:10:45 »

Besides, if they have no common ground, how come the current pope believes in Evolution. How come Darwin believed in a creator (he was a deist) and Newton was as much as theologian as a physicist? And it is not fair or just to patronize these greats with suggestions that they may have different beliefs if they were armed with today's knowledge. It also ignores the many great scholars we have today who are able grasp the bigger picture in which the existence of one does not destroy the other.

It is precisely because there is no common ground between science and superstition that it is possible for one person to practice science and believe in fairies, just as Hitler was kind to dogs and children. If there were any common ground, it would be a battlefield.

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 29/03/2015 05:50:35 »
There is a difference between faith/expectation/confidence and superstition and science.

Your judgement is used to find facts and may not agree with theology... but not all use their judgement to determine faith matters. Or faith to find physics facts...

Faith is the ancient and original order. Look at our cats and their primitive brains. And wild cats. They do n ot judge if there will be another morning or night, or food... many of them survive. They sleep and awaken and hunt expecting reality will be there. Night, day, food. They are confident!
Our ancestors must have been like this.
It is not necessary for us to, not believe in night and day and providence.
We experience things that give us faith and it is natural order.

I may have become an atheist only I experienced forgiveness and other things. If you seek to test faith, the best thing you can do is ask for prayer from the charismaticly gifted and be given knowledge with insight not naturally possible.

In twenty or fifty years from now, and then again, the cutting edge of scientific facts may change.
The worth of Jesus, cross, is a promise of health, good character and eternal life. To some this makes sense. So they consider believing. What could be worth more?
« Last Edit: 29/03/2015 05:52:07 by Europan Ocean »

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 30/05/2015 04:33:56 »
Common ground: nutters, fruit-loops, genius, rules on clothing, the use of books, lectures (although in religion it's called preaching), the construction of expensive big buildings, bias, a reliance to some extent on charitable donations and I think you get my drift so feel free to add some more :-)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06/06/2015 07:57:19 »

Is there anything in religion anybody has heard that makes them think there may be something in what is being said here. My kids go to a youth club run by a church and knowing the vicar Ive have had many hours of deep conversation whereby we cross our scientific and religious viewpoints he im sure was trying to bring me into the fold where as i was listening to find some means of correlation two things he said spring to mind

God is the light..........now were all fans of that light stuff in here, possibly more about the speed of it and weather it has mass lol but none the less we can possibly assume he travels well fast!!!

and another

God made us inside a perfect sphere and lives on the outside and that he lives outside of time.........what a weird thing i said so everything has already happend then and he said yes id imagine this is true because if you were in this universe it isnt possible to have made it.

Any ideas are welcomed

cheers
Ace

In my opinion religion is the first branch of Psuedo-science and the very first thoughts of how we got here and where did everything come from.   Creation from religions is the science I mention, after creation , things like Moses parting the sea or Gabriel talking to Mohamed, are simply make believe stories where the author's  scientific thought was at a stand still and dead end, in the beginning there was nothing, ''god'' created all or in the beginning there was a big bang, are points in logic where we hit a logical stalemate in thinking.
We can only imagine nothing as an emptiness, this is where everyone's logic can rewind  everything to and always hit a dead end with no apparent answer.  A logical argument opposed to a God is the simplicity question of what made a ''God'' and what is beyond paradise?
Also there is logical argument to suggest that the author's were really considering space, ''God'' is all around us and everywhere, ''God'' is immortal, ''God'' created everything, ''god'' watches over us,

My argument would be that ''God'' was a term in the origin of the word that now means space.

Space is all around us, space is immortal, without space things can not exist, things need a space to exist in.

Light is also created in space,

Common ground yes, the link - thinking

''let there be light'' really meaning let the ball of plasma in the sky shine on the earth, if ''God'' made light, then worship science, they also can make light.

« Last Edit: 06/06/2015 08:03:51 by Thebox »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #80 on: 06/06/2015 07:57:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length