The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is 'heat ' the absence of 'cold ' ?  (Read 25621 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Is 'heat ' the absence of 'cold ' ?
« Reply #25 on: 28/05/2006 17:48:20 »
Hi Loretta, Glad to see you back! How was the trip, Did you find any Tame polar bears out there for Neil?

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #26 on: 28/05/2006 19:31:56 »
Hey Karen!  Trip was fine once I left Vegas and went to the desert to explore and ran across a little Tortoise....they can withstand heat up to 140 degrees...amazing!  I guess I could've covered him with some white fur and put a black nose on him and handed him over to Neil..hehe

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28/05/2006 19:36:46 »
Those tortoise can give you a nasty nip !! :D  OUCH !!!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28/05/2006 21:00:20 »
They sure can, we would have had to put a muzzle on it for you!

another_someone

« Reply #29 on: 28/05/2006 21:53:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by MayoFlyFarmer

yes karen, joules (as well as calories) are a unit of measure that we use to measure energy in.  just like we use meters or inches to measure distance, and seconds to measure time, and pounds and grams to measure mass/weight.  

just like all of the above stated units claories and joules are an aritrary amount of energy. but they serve as standardized units so that you can describe an amount of energy and someone will know whow much you mean.

But you should be careful when using calories, since what nutritionists refer to as calories are really kilocalories.

George

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #30 on: 28/05/2006 23:45:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Those tortoise can give you a nasty nip !! :D  OUCH !!!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

I promise I didn't touch him, I swear I didn't...okay, I only have a nub left of my index finger...hehe..;)

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29/05/2006 08:52:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:

yes karen, joules (as well as calories) are a unit of measure that we use to measure energy in.  just like we use meters or inches to measure distance, and seconds to measure time, and pounds and grams to measure mass/weight.  

just like all of the above stated units calories and joules are an aritrary amount of energy. but they serve as standardized units so that you can describe an amount of energy and someone will know whow much you mean.

But you should be careful when using calories, since what nutritionists refer to as calories are really kilocalories.

George

What is the difference between calories and Kilocalories?
  No worries, Personally I don't count calories, if I like it I have a bit. I used to have a lot, but these days I am doing some serious portion control instead of counting calories. I hate math.

another_someone

« Reply #32 on: 29/05/2006 10:25:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
What is the difference between calories and Kilocalories?

A factor of 1000 (kilo being the SI prefix for 1000, although it may be argued that calories are CGS units rather than SI units).

George
« Last Edit: 29/05/2006 10:25:31 by another_someone »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29/05/2006 18:11:47 »
Thanks Another_Someone!

ROBERT

« Reply #34 on: 30/05/2006 15:53:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by moonfire

I am just amazed at the different things used as a lens...but this is the first time I have heard of a condom for such..Robert
"Lo" Loretta

If you don't have a condom handy then you can start a fire with a can of coke and a chocolate bar:-
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #35 on: 31/05/2006 17:13:25 »
thanks for the clrification someone

just to elaborate.  the reason the word calories is used in the contex of heat and nutrition is because they are reffering to the same thing.... ENERGY (hence the term burn the calories off)  when you eat food the number of calories equals the amount of energy taht your body gets to generate heat (among other things such as metabolic processes, growth etc.)  This is why on the back of a Gatorade botle if you look at the nutritional information, next to the word "calories" they have in parentahses "energy", because people are used to calories being a bad thing, but when you're trying to refuel your body, its exactly what you wnat.
In theory if you were to take a slice of bread that (nutrtionally speaking) had 100 calories, and burn it instead of eat it, you would get generate 100 calories of heat.  Granted, you would actually get 100,000 calories of heat because as Another Someone pointed out, that what nutritioists call a calorie is actually a kilocalorie in sentific terms (ie 1 calroie in a can of diet coke actually equals 1000 calories)  

i just had a thought.  wouldn't it be funny if all of a sudden food packaging started displaying actual calories instead of calling Kilocalories calories.  You'd have a lot of calorie-counting dieters going crazy!!!  I personally never saw the point of counting calories myself.  The COMPOSITION of what you eat (ie what proportion of the calories come from fat/protein/carbs) and limiting harmful molecules such as cholesterols, saturated fats, and dyes and perservatives is so much more important than teh amount you eat.

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

another_someone

« Reply #36 on: 31/05/2006 21:34:15 »
quote:
In theory if you were to take a slice of bread that (nutrtionally speaking) had 100 calories, and burn it instead of eat it, you would get generate 100 calories of heat.  Granted, you would actually get 100,000 calories of heat because as Another Someone pointed out, that what nutritioists call a calorie is actually a kilocalorie in sentific terms (ie 1 calroie in a can of diet coke actually equals 1000 calories)  

Actually, I think you would get far more that 100 kilocalories if you burn it.

The silly thing is that the calculation of calorific values of food makes lots of assumptions about the human metabolism (which is ofcourse different for each individual).  A nutritionist would assume a lump of aluminium has no calorific value, but clearly it can be burnt in air, but unable to be digested by the human body.  A field of grass may have a significant calorific value for most cows, but not much for the average human digestive system.

George

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02/06/2006 03:13:21 »
Other ways to make fire, with alkali metals (Video 3:16)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2134266654801392897

Laith
« Last Edit: 02/06/2006 03:13:42 by Laith »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #37 on: 02/06/2006 03:13:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length