The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a scientific basis to The Farmers Almanac  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I hope this is the proper forum for this. I just had my interest peaked about this subject again, as I have not thought about it for a long time. With all the enphasis on the moon and gravity. Are the methods used in the planning of the Farmers Almanac of a scientific base, or is much of the information contained in it myth and wives tales?

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
Re: Is there a scientific basis to The Farmers Almanac
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2006 19:12:40 »
i've always wondered the same myself.  anyone care to enlighten us?

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/05/2006 06:37:36 »
There is much truth in many old wives tales about weather etc.

Here in the UK we have sayings such as "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning". This has a basis in fact, although I can't remember the exact meteorological conditions involved.

Another saying my nan used to oft proffer was "When the wind's in the west, wear a waterprooof vest". In the UK we get more rain with a west wind.

There are also, allegdly, many signs in animals & plants of what weather conditions may be on the way - although some of these may be somewhat more dubious.

All in all, I would say that these almanacs are certainly not 100% reliable but stick with professional meteorologists if you want to be really led up the garden path! :D

Brand new forum at
http://beaverlandforum.y4a.net
More than just science
« Last Edit: 25/05/2006 06:39:11 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/05/2006 19:02:12 »
Where I lice there is a type of tree that is an indicator for the type of winter that lays in the future. The tree, named "mesquite" by the Spanish, will shed it leaves early in the Fall if the winter will be colder than normal and very late in Fall if above norml.

Interstingly, the tree is not a "real" tree at all, even though I fell from one and broke a leg when I was young, but a member of the Legume family. The beans they produce about September have been a staple for man and beast for thousands of years.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline time-cop

• Making tomorrow safe today .
    • View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #4 on: 27/05/2006 21:58:03 »
is astrology a science,i thought almanacs are based in astrology,or,as usual,am i wrong.

http://www.armybarmy.org

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/05/2006 03:32:48 »
I thought it was based alot on astrology too, but was not sure either.  I'm going to go get one!
  I would think the study of the stars as in astronomy would be a science, but astrology, I am not sure of. I think there may be more myth involved there, but I am not sure of that either.
Our saying here is "Red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in morning sailors take warning"
« Last Edit: 28/05/2006 03:37:40 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/05/2006 04:00:20 »
Karen , I think you have hit the nail on the head with your original question girly !....I suspect a lot of what is contained in the Farmers Almanac is in fact based on accepted scientific data using ' fairly ' reliable and trusted methods..... .....and then there's no doubt some data which is debatable in it's authenticity perhaps obtained by dubious methods.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2006 06:28:08 »
Thats kind of good to know! I think that I would like to take a peak at one as it has been many years since I have looked into one. Neil have you ever looked through one of the little buggers?

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 28/05/2006 13:42:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver
Here in the UK we have sayings such as "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning". This has a basis in fact, although I can't remember the exact meteorological conditions involved.

My vague understanding of this is that the dominant weather comes from the West, from the the Atlantic.  If the sky in the evening, illuminated from a westerly Sun, reflects off clouds in the East, then the clouds are departing; if the clouds in the West are illuminated by an Easterly Sun in the early morning, then the weather is incoming.

George
« Last Edit: 28/05/2006 13:46:05 by another_someone »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/05/2006 17:35:49 »
I never new the science of that saying, only that it was usually pretty accurate. That is interesting to know.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 28/05/2006 17:35:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums