The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would life extension make us less human?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Would life extension make us less human?
« on: 25/05/2006 13:59:33 »

Would life extension make us less human?‘Toward Immortality’: Researchers debate long-term effect of longer life

In Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," the main character barters his soul for eternal youth but becomes wicked and immoral in the process.

Leon Kass believes humanity risks striking a similar Faustian bargain if it pursues technology that extends life spans beyond what is natural.

If our species ever does unlock the secrets of aging and learns to live forever, we might not lose our souls, but, like Dorian, we will no longer be human either, says Kass, a bioethicist at the University of Chicago and a longtime critic of life extension research. For Kass, to argue that life is better without death is to argue "that human life would be better being something
Full Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12953517/

What do you think about this?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline Ian Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2008 11:16:48 »
I liked Dorian Grey - an excellent novel.

I like the idea of a button that when pushed eliminates a possibility. But the pushers never has to know,

Is this an infinite act of cowardice?

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2008 19:10:43 »
We are already extending life but it come at a cost.

I'm not to sure if its a good idea as we may just end up with more older people with medical problems that need looking after. Couple that with the fact that people are having fewer and fewer children then we get to the problem of who will look after the increasingly older population.

Offline Ian Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2008 21:58:45 »
Maybe it is not age but the care required from age that is in question. Some biblical texts claim people living for 800 years and presumably well. If so, then we need to estimate the rebirth rate a bit lower.

It has been suggested that poor countries have a high elderly death rate so that people choose to have large families to look after them in such a decay. Could this be true?

I consider the Salomon islands - did people there eat all the tree fruit to the point of extinction or is this an urban myth? (maybe I spelled it wrong?)

It certainly seems plausible

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2008 21:58:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums