The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

Do you believe dark matter is real?

Yes
9 (56.3%)
No
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Do you believe dark matter is real?  (Read 13713 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Do you believe dark matter is real?
« Reply #50 on: 04/05/2012 13:48:43 »
Thinking about mini black holes. what is gravity coupled too?
Mass, and 'energy'?

And what is 'energy'? The closest analogue we can experience would be 'photons/waves' as I see it. Do you believe it possible that light 'propagates' in space? Without heating it, assuming a arrow, since the BB? Well, if you see a reason for it not getting 'warmer' there, and you think its propagates. Then do you believe in constraining it to a 'system', to give that radiation a 'mass' in modern formulation, a particles invariant 'rest mass'?

And if you do that, what are your ideas of conservation laws? And what are your ideas of the whole SpaceTime as a 'system'?

And no, this is not directed to anyone :)
Just me wondering.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04/05/2012 13:58:07 »
The point is, suns that radiate interacts with matter. They have done it under a arrow since the BB. 'Space' as such do not 'heat up'. So where does that excess of 'energy' go that the suns been making? Into 'Space' you say? 'Propagating' still I presume? Ahem, solve that one for me please :)
=

Maybe that is the reason for a expansion? Keeping a SpaceTime in equilibrium.
Which would make the reason some sort of symmetry. Not necessarily the one I suggested here though.

One need to remember that when radiation interact with matter, it also reflects from it, as well as refracts etc etc. And matter presents 'heat', amongst other phenomena, from such interactions.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2012 14:06:25 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 04/05/2012 14:19:44 »
There is also a point somewhere connected to super massive Black holes like the ones inside galaxies 'centers' so to speak. In a way they act as regulators of 'energy', exchanging it for 'gravity', don't they? But you can't assume that all 'energy', now 'propagating', as we speak radiation here, sooner or late will find their way into a 'Black Hole' can you? Instead we assume a final even spread of 'heat', and in 'Space' no less :)

That final 'space' whatever it will be, can then be assumed to have a gravitational potential, and so a metric called 'gravity', giving it its 3-D shape not needing any 'matter', or, be assumed to not have any 'metric' at all, as it will have no 'gravity', meaning that this 'propagating energy' now 'propagates' in, what?

Nuthin?
« Last Edit: 04/05/2012 14:21:19 by yor_on »

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 05/05/2012 07:58:18 »
Making an assumption about a persons training can't logically be considered condescending and making an assumption about such training says nothing about an assumption about their intelligence. In any case I think it'd be best for mt not to prticipate in discussions with people who are so offended.

Pete,

That's a cop-out.  I would far rather we debate.  I am pretty sure you do not agree with much that I believe to be true but I would far rather you (or anyone) prove my ideas wrong than not debate them.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #54 on: 05/05/2012 16:40:40 »
That's a cop-out.
Please refrain from using a derogatory statements, e.g.

Definition of cop-out
1. A failure to fulfill a commitment or responsibility or to face a difficulty squarely.
2. A person who fails to fulfill a commitment or responsibility.
3. An excuse for inaction or evasion.

If you can resist the temptation to refrain frowhat I consider a derogatory statement then I'd be glad to continue this discussion with you, but only when we stay within the bounds of epistmology.

I would far rather we debate.  I am pretty sure you do not agree with much that I believe to be true but I would far rather you (or anyone) prove my ideas wrong than not debate them.
As I said several times, theories cannot be proven "true." In fat no theory has ever been proven true. Why don't you pick up a book like The Logic of Scientific Discovery by Karl Popper or The Strcture of Scientific Revolution - 3rd Ed. by Thomas Kuhn and I'd be more than happy to discuss those as they pertain to Dark Matter?

Otherwise please explain what it means to you to prove a theory true of false. E.g. explain how Newton's Laws were proven true.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #55 on: 05/05/2012 16:42:17 »
Thinking about mini black holes. what is gravity coupled too?
Mass, and 'energy'?
What do you mean coupled too? I've never seen that term used in a scientific use.

And what is 'energy'? The closest analogue we can experience would be 'photons/waves' as I see it. Do you believe it possible that light 'propagates' in space? Without heating it, assuming a arrow, since the
Regarding "what is energy" see - http://home.comcast.net/~peter.m.brown/mech/what_is_energy.htm

The closest analogue we can experience would be 'photons/waves' as I see it.
The first exampl;es that a physics student comes across is mechanical energy

Do you believe it possible that light 'propagates' in space?
Yes.

And if you do that, what are your ideas of conservation laws? And what are your ideas of the whole SpaceTime as a 'system'?
A conservation law is a law of physics which states that a physical quantity remains constant in time.

« Last Edit: 05/05/2012 16:52:51 by Pmb »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 05/05/2012 18:47:24 »
MODENOTE

Mike and Pete - no more comments about the person, education, or perceived attitude please; we are dangerously close to the borders of acceptability so let's get back to substantive science before anyone goes too far. 

I'm locking this thread since it continued to go off track despite the above warning.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2012 19:02:23 by JP »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #56 on: 05/05/2012 18:47:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums