The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do you set up Skype?  (Read 8950 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How do you set up Skype?
« on: 13/04/2012 13:29:18 »
I have just set up Sykpe that works fine, my first call was from a Nigerian rogue about setting up some money laundering scam, I did not know they really existed I thought it was an urban myth!.
« Last Edit: 13/04/2012 20:45:45 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sykpe
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2012 18:43:05 »
I find it amazing that a COUNTRY can become synonymous with Fraud.

And while there must be myths of huge gains in the past, there have to be diminishing returns now.  Anybody that hasn't heard about the Nigerian Bank Scheme by now has to be living in a cave.

How many phone calls do they have to make per dollar of return?

And, it has to cause serious problems with Nigerian businesses.  Imagine owning a legitimate small business (are there any in Nigeria), and being completely shut out by the international community.  They can't buy anything off of E-Bay, because nobody will sell it to them.

I used to get a Nigerian come onto Yahoo Chat once a week or so.  I could usually tell something was off with them from the first character typed (usually a Buzzz).  They would claim they would be from the USA, but stuck in Nigeria.  So, I would ask them a simple question about their home state (obfuscating it enough to make it difficult for a simple web search). 

Did you hear that a Nigerian is applying to lead the World Bank? 
http://allafrica.com/stories/201204021208.html
She may be good...  but the country needs to clean house a bit before gaining global leadership positions in BANKING.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you set up Skype?
« Reply #2 on: 14/04/2012 07:02:47 »
A Nigerian leading the world banksters sounds remarkably appropriate to me.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2012 08:33:34 »

I understand the collective noun for bankers is a "wunch".

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2012 13:00:20 »
Even the www.419eater.com website, which specializes in wasting the time of Nigerian scammers, recognizes not all scammers are in Nigeria ...

Although this site concentrates mainly on the Nigerian 419 scam, we are happy to deal with other types of scams if and when the opportunity arises.

Do not be fooled into thinking scammers operate from a specific part of the world. Advance fee fraud scammers are a world-wide menace, and they operate from every continent. These scammers range from small one-man-band criminals scamming a few thousand dollars a year, to highly organised groups raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.
http://www.419eater.com/index.php
« Last Edit: 14/04/2012 14:33:11 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/04/2012 17:56:46 »
The important thing to understand is that, even although you think you've payed a check/cheque into your bank account and the money shows up in your bank balance, the cheque/check really has not cleared and it can still bounce a week or more later.

I don't think banks do a very good job of explaining that little detail.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2012 18:39:52 »
The important thing to understand is that, even although you think you've payed a check/cheque into your bank account and the money shows up in your bank balance, the cheque/check really has not cleared and it can still bounce a week or more later.

Yes, banks should do a much better job at verification, although it is nice to get access to the money as soon as the check hits the bank account.  I hate having to wait a week for a check to clear that I already know is good.

Of course, the banks should be able to recognize a Nigerian check.

I had a Nigerian Scammer send one to me once.  On the Nigerian check, it said right on the check, "Check Micro-printing on Signature Line".  Sure enough, all of my checks had micro-printing.  The Nigerian check did not.  So, it doubled my suspicion.  I then called the bank, and they seemed to be familiar with the hacked account.  Anyway, I never shipped the items that the Nigerians wanted as it was obvious the check was bad without attempting to deposit it.

The really scary thing (a couple of years ago).
The Nigerians started ordering stuff and having them shipped to my house (which I was supposed to forward to Nigeria).  It turns out that with a credit card number and key-code, the Nigerians would then supply my name, address, & zip for the billing info.  The credit card authorization did not bother to check that the "billing" info matched the card (and, of course, check for consistency between billing/shipping info).
Obviously I sent everything back and had the credit card accounts cancelled, but any fraud investigation trail would have led back to me.  It wasn't a good plan.

Oh...  then another Nigerian Scammer wanted me to pay for a trip to the USA.  ;)  She was supposed to have gotten a visa to the USA.  So, I asked her to send a copy of the Visa to me.  The real ones have a bunch of little squiggly lines that go through the text.  None of them lined up around the names on the scanned copy she sent.  She said that she had gotten the visa through an "Agency".  I told her that she had to go to the US Embassy to get a Visa.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/04/2012 20:55:36 »

I had a Nigerian Scammer send one to me once ...

The Nigerians started ordering stuff and having them shipped to my house ...

If you’re scambaiting you shouldn’t use your real address ...

Quote from: 419eater.com
WARNING
Please remember that these people are CRIMINALS and should be treated as such.
Under no circumstances must you enter into any communications with these people unless you feel you are adequately prepared to deal with them.
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES give them ANY real private information about yourself. These guys may appear dumb and clueless, but I suspect it wouldn't be so funny if you were to come face-to-face with one of them, although I'll be the first to admit the chances against this happening are astronomical - unless of course you are dumb enough to fly over to meet them in person, in which case you need to be sectioned ASAP!
The tips below are for INFORMATION ONLY. 419eater.com cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do with the information.
If you are unsure of what you are doing please LEAVE WELL ALONE!
http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

Quote from: 419eater.com
At the time of writing this FAQ the latest known victim was a 29 year old Greek man, George Makronalli, who traveled to South Africa as part of a 419 scam. He was then kidnapped and killed when his family refused to pay the ransom. A day later, police found George's body in Durban. Both his legs and arms were broken and he had been set alight - probably while he was still alive.
http://www.419eater.com/html/ethics.htm
« Last Edit: 14/04/2012 21:12:14 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/04/2012 22:02:00 »
If you’re scambaiting you shouldn’t use your real address ...

I believe the name and address can be found in a phone book, so it is barely personal.
But, that is about the extent of what I'll send.  Perhaps it would be better to use a pseudonym and address.

In general, on the internet I refuse to give out my birthday, except for banks.  So, personals sites and etc never get the real BD.
Also, never give out the social security number, drivers license, bank account, and etc.
And, never sign up for a web service that requires personal info based on a scammer's suggestion.
And, of course, if one is tempted to re-use passwords, keep independent passwords for bank accounts, your e-mail, and such.

And, I avoid any business or calling centers that routinely outsources personal information.

Clueless...  I assume there is a hierarchy.  There are likely calling centers filled with people who are actually clueless...  but certainly the managers know what they are doing.

In February 2004, Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said:
“In Nigeria, WE are always amazed that anyone could be so stupid as to respond to such an offer.”

The fact is that many people do believe these letters – enough to make 419 crime quite a lucrative money earner. It has been estimated that there are well over 250,000 scammers involved in 419 scams worldwide and that they reap in over US$1.5 billion annually. The average victim pays out US$20,000.
WHEW!!!

And, isn't that the woman applying to lead the World Bank....  how inclusive is that "WE"?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 16/04/2012 09:52:10 »

I wonder what on Earth makes you think that!!!

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17/04/2012 20:20:12 »
Today a Nigerian ex Wicks shop assistent who had made a £250m finacial empire in his home country was sentenced to 13 years in jail for his efforts.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/04/2012 21:53:51 »
I believe the name and address can be found in a phone book, so it is barely personal.

Random people picked from the phone book haven't been wasting their time.
If they know where you live they could send you something very unpleasant through the post,
and theoretically could "send the boys round".

Today a Nigerian ex Wicks shop assistent who had made a £250m finacial empire in his home country was sentenced to 13 years in jail for his efforts.

he's got his own wikipedia entry ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ibori
« Last Edit: 17/04/2012 21:57:38 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/04/2012 09:18:41 »
Random people picked from the phone book haven't been wasting their time.
If they know where you live they could send you something very unpleasant through the post,
and theoretically could "send the boys round".
I suppose that is true.

I doubt the first reaction of some conmen in a far away country will be to call the local police.

What I inadvertently discovered is that they have already left a trail of breadcrumbs leading to me by using my name and address on stolen credit cards.  I suppose they could use the stolen credit cards to send something like methamphetamine precursors to my house. 

I will certainly be more careful in the future.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10/05/2012 19:02:02 »

I find this extremely irritating and insist when setting up with a bank that they not hold my cheques.  We do live in the electronic era and cheque clearing should never take more than a day.  Two days would be acceptable for international cheques.  How much money do you suppose banks make by "holding" people's money for weeks?  It would be interesting to check when the cheque writer's account was debited for the funds compared with when the funds were cleared in the recipient's account.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10/05/2012 19:56:06 »
insist when setting up with a bank that they not hold my cheques.

They might not hold them, but they have not cleared, so they can still bounce after the money apparently shows up in your account. It's the payee's responsibility not to accept dud checks. A check is a promise to pay the payee, not the bank, and people break their promises all the time.

As I said, I don't think the banks make this clear enough.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16/05/2012 02:12:49 »
They cleared them.  On my bill paying account I kept the balance near zero, would deposit cheques and have payments come out within a day or two. 

I don't deal with banks much any more and am looking for a way to avoid them altogether.  Any suggestions?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16/05/2012 05:56:02 »
In the modern world, you will probably find it difficult to avoid banks, unless you are in a retail job that pays in cash, in which case, you probably will need lots of funds transfers for inventory and etc.  Perhaps a retail farmer's market type business dealing in cash.  Or garage sale reselling and flea markets (which is profitable for some people).

It is rare that I enter a bank, with 99% of my banking done either through an ATM, or online.

Actually, I have a big debate with my mother.

95+% of my purchases are in CASH.  I guess I feel there is no sense in paying the extra 3% or so that the credit card companies charge.  I certainly would never buy a $3 coffee on credit.  Of course, the charge is usually a business expense eaten by the businesses.  Imagine a store turning $100K a day, paying over $3000 a day for credit transactions.  or $1M a day, and $30K in credit card transactions.

Plus I avoid as many monthly bills as possible   [xx(]

My mother, on the other hand, has been drug in by the "cash back" that various credit cards provide.  So, she believes it is to her benefit to get the half a percent back or so incentive that many credit card companies provide.  So, she uses the card everywhere.  Of course, she pays it religiously, so she never has service charges.  But, the stores are still paying that 3% or so, so that she can enjoy the ½ % or so back.

I suppose I just don't think the banks need that much extra of my money, no mater if it is directly billed to me or not.   [xx(]

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16/05/2012 06:59:53 »

I don't deal with banks much any more and am looking for a way to avoid them altogether.  Any suggestions?

As it happens, I am the CEO of the Royal Bank of Geezer. Please place all you funds in used Clydesdale Bank fivers in an unmarked manilla envelope and send them to me.

You know you can trust me.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16/05/2012 07:31:35 »

Barter ? ...  http://paymewithachicken.com

[ If you do this in the UK I suspect you have to send the chancellor of the exchequer a chicken leg to cover VAT ]
« Last Edit: 16/05/2012 07:44:00 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17/05/2012 05:32:02 »
If you do this in the UK I suspect you have to send the chancellor of the exchequer a chicken leg to cover VAT

An interesting thing about the US is that, if you buy something from a vendor in a different state, that vendor has no responsibility to collect sales tax for the state that you live in. In some states it's the buyer's responsibility to send the "use tax" money to their state, so we have to keep meticulous records of all our out-of-state purchases so that we can send the money to our state government when we file our tax returns.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17/05/2012 13:46:39 »
Thankfully we don't have sales taxes here ;)

But there still are income taxes and property taxes. 

Perhaps one could "live off the land".  But, there still are the property taxes.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18/05/2012 03:21:02 »
I agree with you CliffordK, it's better to use cash than credit cards with "rewards".  Those companies don't get rich by giving things away.  It's just another hook to leverage their profits.  Another downside to credit and debit cards is that they track purchases and use the demographics for their benefit.

Geezer, your manilla envelope is in the mail  ;)

RD, I love the "pay me with a chicken" website!

David and I live in a community where barter is a way of life.  We grow most of our own food and produce our own power.  We are retired.  Still, we have vehicle fuel, registration and insurance, home insurance and taxes.  So we are forced to deal with banks. 
« Last Edit: 18/05/2012 03:31:31 by Donnah »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18/05/2012 07:51:48 »
Still, we have vehicle fuel,
There are people that go around collecting waste oil from restaurants for use as vehicle fuel. 

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20/05/2012 04:16:08 »
We would like to set up a biodiesel system; is this something you are familiar with?  We have much to learn about it.  For now I use our cooking fats to make soap.  We have algae in the pond, but I doubt it is enough to make fuel. 

Then there's this machine.

feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: 20/05/2012 05:22:46 by Donnah »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20/05/2012 05:36:34 »
I've seen that film, and wondered about it.  Unfortunately the details are sparse. 

I've made several 5 gallon batches of biodiesel.  I've intended to make a larger processor, but haven't gotten it built yet.  Then I destroyed my VW engine, and have taken a short pause in the use of biodiesel.  I'll get back into it soon.

There are several forums for biodiesel information.  This one is very good, with a lot of activity.  If you do choose to process biodiesel, I would encourage either building or finding a fully enclosed system.

People have generally had good luck with biodiesel in older vehicles.  If you have a vehicle less than 5 years old, you will need to find out if it has a DPF, and where the burnoff injection cycle is.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 20/05/2012 05:36:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums