The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do you set up Skype?  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you set up Skype?
« Reply #25 on: 21/05/2012 23:06:11 »
Do you make your fuel indoors?  Do you notice a difference in mileage using your own fuel?  What sparked your interest in making it? 

Thanks for the link to the forum, we will return there when the time comes.  We would have to make it indoors, since we have bears and other critters who regularly check out our yard for anything that resembles food.  I don't even want to think about the mess a bear could make.  One raided our garbage yesterday and wandered off with a lid to one of the bins.  I guess he wanted a dinner plate.

David's truck is 6 or 7 years old, but we will check with our mechanic before running biodiesel.  The tractor is about 7 years old.  Are there any issues with running biodiesel in tractors?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22/05/2012 04:22:39 »
A possible source of advice on the subject : TNS contributor John “biodiesel” Chapman ... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=21400.msg239855#msg239855

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22/05/2012 05:42:29 »
There are many people that make biodiesel in their garage. 
However, the practice is somewhat controversial.

First of all, there are a number of biodiesel fires, both residential & commercial every year.  Fires occurring in attached, or basement garages are especially traumatic. 

Methanol is also toxic.  If a system is not properly vented, some people have had a build-up of vapors in the processing area, which you wouldn't necessarily want in your house.

A while ago, I suggested using conex boxes for processing, with the idea that they would be much better at containing fires than other structures.  One person mentioned that he actually partly buried a couple of them, although he said the walls weren't quite as strong as one might expect and needed some reinforcements. 

I have used some biodiesel in my tractor without major issues, but it is about 20 years old.  I've been away from the website I mentioned for a bit.  I think there was someone that had issues with biodiesel and a newer tractor.

A few of the issues that people have with it.  The biodiesel can eat through any "natural rubber".  It doesn't affect many of the newer synthetics. 
The viscosity of biodiesel is somewhat greater than regular diesel (but less than straight oil).  Some people have issues with a loss of power, especially with newer electronically controlled injection systems (both vehicles and tractors).

And, obviously, quality can vary when "homebrew" is used, especially with clogging filters.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24/05/2012 07:14:28 »
Thanks for the info, CliffordK.  Clearly we have a LOT of research to do before we undertake making biodiesel. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 24/05/2012 07:14:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums