The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Shock Of Return To The Earlier YOU !  (Read 2522 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
The Shock Of Return To The Earlier YOU !
« on: 25/05/2006 14:59:31 »
Dearest Science Bods of Academia Degreeness & All Round Really Clever Peeps,

This is silly hypothesis number 73 in a series of 564 silly hypotheses.

Assuming NO senility of any sorts...your mind is as fresh as it is TODAY.

Say, you go to sleep on the eve of your 80th birthday !...you have a perfectly relaxed usual night....and when you wake up...you are where you are now ! years earlier......you are in front of this screen...sitting at this desk transported back in time to THIS very moment....your mind transposed into the earlier YOU !!

How quickly ,(and this is the hypothesis bit !!..exciting isn't it ?)...How quickly would it be for your mind to accept the situation, try and deal with the facts and the people around you and then  (RE)acclimatise to the life you now have ?

I think it would either create a nervous breakdown or one would in fact be able to rejoin this part of your life again...once ( and this would take time) you have got over the shock and re-taught yourself to do what you do....if you know what I mean !!

Whajafink.....?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 25/05/2006 15:00:08 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: The Shock Of Return To The Earlier YOU !
« Reply #1 on: 25/05/2006 15:34:56 »
Interesting question! One might find him or herself in a position to make changes or try different avenues to change ones present or past outcomes. maybe more adventurous and experience more life, or perhaps one may have been content with ones life as it was, and this might indeed pose a problem in the mind, as to how to make everything progress the same as before. One change in time may change life as we knew it so to speak! A nervous break down might accur if one could not adapt and make the best of the situation. Reminds me of and old Star Trek episode!

I think most of us have some things or thoughts or actions that we would love to be able to do over or change. Maybe regrets. It might be the oportunity to correct wrongs or experience new things. Might be fun, depending on how you see it. I agree with your conclusion and regardless of what you do it would take some time....Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/05/2006 19:00:59 »
Those are very good points Karen....

....and one might want to make changes once one has become acclimatised to the situation but how would you know what effects the changes would make ? and there may be people who you know, events that have happened which would then not occur if you did things to change them !

My main premise of the post is really how easily one may accept the situation and then settle into it....I think it ,notwithstanding going mad !! the adjustment could be made.

I can imagine an intense feeling of being lost with such confusion and shock that to the people who you are around (in my case my family) that they would see it as there being something wrong. Of course in their eyes, there's been no change......I think the familiarity of your surroundings would take a long time to fit in with your senses.....there would need to be some serious adjusting to your perception and understanding...

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/05/2006 03:30:59 »
I think  you would have to have some serious adjusting. Changing the events would most certainly alter outcomes and perhaps elliminate people or even whole families, there  would be some major adjustments to be worked out.
  I would have to make sure and do things just right as what would I do without the forum! That does it for sure, I would go totally mad!
   I too think the adjustment can be mad, we are all pretty adaptive creatures and usually  find a way to survive, in most cases as I am sure some might not, but on the whole I think most would adapt!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 26/05/2006 03:30:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums