The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How is a research review compiled?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How is a research review compiled?
« on: 17/04/2012 17:16:25 »
Has anyone ever done a research review, and do you have any advice on doing it on the internet. I want to write a book on a topic, and would like to summarize in part of the book the most current scientific research related to it. I did a research review for a class 25 years ago, but that was pre-internet and involved digging through journals in the university library. Is there a better place to start than google? I want science journal articles, not popular media.
« Last Edit: 21/04/2012 08:18:50 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: advice on doing a research review
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/2012 17:27:37 »
... I want science journal articles, not popular media.

http://scholar.google.com

http://scholar.google.co.uk/intl/en/scholar/refinesearch.html

To obtain a copy of the full journal article a fee is usually payable (~$30).

« Last Edit: 17/04/2012 17:33:47 by RD »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/04/2012 21:55:32 »
Wow. Libraries were a good idea.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2012 22:31:12 »
Wow. Libraries were a good idea.

A university library may enable you to get stuff for free ...

Check the library of a local college or university. Academic institutions, like colleges and universities, often subscribe to many scientific journals. Some of these libraries are free to the public. Contact the library, or look at their website, to see if you may use their resources and if they subscribe to the journals in which you're interested. Often, the library's catalog of holdings is online and publicly searchable.
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/top_science-fair_finding_scientific_papers.shtml

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2012 23:05:25 »
I think some universities may automatically have subscriptions to some of these online services.  Otherwise, if the library doesn't have the article, they can get it for free via interlibrary loan.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2012 02:40:14 »
well, that's kind of the problem - I'm no longer close to any major university. Thanks, though.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/04/2012 08:46:22 »
I don't know what field you are researching Cheryl, but if there is a suitable "society" you can join, you may be able to get the journal subscriptions heavily discounted and they may also provide back copies on CD or DVD at low cost or even free. This is better than paper copies because you can search faster. In electronics the IEEE runs such a service though there are numerous societies within the IEEE and you have to pick out the relevent ones (the paper you want is always in another societies journal, but that's Murphy's Law).

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2012 10:30:24 »
well, that's kind of the problem - I'm no longer close to any major university. Thanks, though.

Last time I wrote a paper I managed to sign up for a short correspondence diploma course through one of the smaller colleges in London - the diploma was crap, but it got me an "athens sign on"  which gave me westlaw and lexis-nexis access (which would have cost around 5000 quid).  Even my master's cost me less than the cost of the access that it granted me.  Once you have athens (I think they uused athens in the states as well - if not dunno what US system is called) you can read the vast majority of the journals in your subject area and a decent proportion of those in other areas - and this is ALL online.

might be worth investigating if you are serious about writing

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2012 10:30:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums