The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are herbicide resistant plants a good idea?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Are herbicide resistant plants a good idea?
« on: 24/04/2012 09:38:09 »
Roundup resistant plants have been around for a while.
Now, Dow Chemical is developing new 2,4-D resistant corn crops (which they happen to also produce the herbicide).

There have been complaints about the Scorched Earth Farming, in which modern farmers kill anything and everything with the goal of having pristine rows of mono-crops.  And, of course, there are now concerns that we are also killing all the bees, and beneficial insects.

I suppose I'm not so excited about the idea that my FOOD is also being sprayed with herbicides, pesticides, and everything else.  There is no need for herbicide resistant crops without actually spraying the crops with herbicides.

Hand-weeding, is time consuming, and expensive. 

Are there other solutions? 

Corn, of course, is a tall crop, and really my garden does just fine with a few weeds interspersed with the corn.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Are herbicide resistant plants a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2012 10:15:42 »
....... pristine rows of mono-crops. 

This is the problem. We cannot have acre upon acre of a single species of plant pollinated by bees with nothing else in the equation to interfere with our goal. We need something to keep the soil aerated, something to deal with the dead leaves which drop off and bees which come to the end of their natural life and the bees need some variety. This means we just have to put up with a host of species, some of which, at first glance, may not seem to be beneficial, but are essential to the balance of nature.

Offline Jessica H

• View Profile
    • Growing Southern
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2012 14:49:15 »
The only positive spin is that herbicide-resistant crops cut down on erosion; when you dig up the weeds you loosen up the soil.   But on the other hand, there are a ton of studies out there suggesting various environmental issues caused by herbicides.

It's interesting that you seldom hear anything about health effects of herbicides.   Pesticides we hear about all the time.   I guess there are more established risks with pesticides, while herbicides are maybe less studied?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2012 14:49:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums