The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: InOrganic Chemistry  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Kari

• First timers
    • View Profile
InOrganic Chemistry
« on: 28/10/2003 05:58:20 »
I am a chemistry student taking InOrganic Chemistry. Better known as Chemistry from.... welll...

My question is a reaction.  Will this happen????
TiCl4 (l) + HCl (aq)(Concentrated) --> TiCl4 (aq) + 2H2 (g) + 2CL2 (g)
      8)

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
Re: InOrganic Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: 28/10/2003 11:58:21 »
Dear Kari

you posted this in the GUESTBOOK ! That's not the best place to get a question answered quickly - please post your enquiries in the relevant place - in this instance under "science" and I'm sure someone will help you out !

Offline Kari

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2003 21:27:44 »
i looked and I am not in the Guest book to what I can see.  If I am can you please direct me out?

Thanks

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2003 22:46:14 »
Dear Kari

no, you are not in the guestbook now because we moved your post for you - no one would have seen it in the guestbook and we didn't want it left unanswered. Sorry if we confused you !

TNS

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2003 23:09:32 »
Kari - Cannabinoid - who has posted on this forum a few times - is a chemist. Look up his profile and get his email address - drop him an email referring him to your problem - he might be able to help.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/11/2003 08:33:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kari

I am a chemistry student taking InOrganic Chemistry. Better known as Chemistry from.... welll...

My question is a reaction.  Will this happen????
TiCl4 (l) + HCl (aq)(Concentrated) --> TiCl4 (aq) + 2H2 (g) + 2CL2 (g)
      8)

So...TiCl4 acts as a catalyst to split HCl into hydroden and chlorine gas?

Angel

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2003 09:18:41 »
My specialty is more in organic chemistry, but perhaps you can clarify your question.  

First, your equation isn't balanced, so that hinders a logical analysis of the reaction at hand.  You have one mole of HCl in the products, but 2 each moles of diatomic H2 and Cl2.  (with no change in TiCl4)  perhaps you mean something like this:

TiCl4 (aq) + 2HCl (conc) --> TiCl4 (aq) + H2 (g) + Cl2 (g)

As cuso4 aptly put it, is the TiCl4 a catalyst in this reaction?  Your phase label in the reactant for TiCl4 is a bit confusing, you say (l) when I think you mean (aq)   I'm pretty sure there are no liquid salts unless they're ionized in solution.  

If that is the case and you meant (aq), then TiCl4 is acting as a catalyst and what you should be asking yourself is 1) what the the chemical reaction that's actually occuring, minus the catalyst, and 2) would this catalyst be suitable to lower the activation energy of this reaction.  That's about where my knowledge stops unless I break out the catalysis section of my physical chem. text.  

I know a chemist that did his post-doc work on inorganic catalysis, if you're really torn up by this question, I can ask him about it.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/11/2003 04:26:02 »
Ok, I asked a couple different people (physical chemists, way too smart for their own good) about this reaction today.  

In a nutshell, here's your answer:  

This reaction, the decomposition of concenrated HCl to component hydrogen and chlorine, would probably not occur.  The TiCl4 is not reactive to acids (or much of anything considering it has neither lone pair electrons or empty orbitals) so  would not catalyze this reaction.  Additionally, one of them seemed to think that given sufficient activation energy, the water in the HCl (even conc. Hcl has water in it) would decompose into hydrogen and oxygen (liberating HCl gas) before HCl would decompose.  

Hope this helps.  Inorganic chemistry is interesting, but a pain.  Wait til you get to physical chemistry.  =P

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Kari

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/11/2003 02:04:07 »
After this class, I'm told P-chem isn't that bad.  This lab is a killer.

Thank you for all of your help.
Kari

P.S. do you have any good references about inorganic reagents?

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/11/2003 08:29:38 »
P-chem isn't bad if you're on top of your math skills.  If you don't understand multi-variable calculus, you're in for a pummeling.  Conceptually, none of it is really that difficult.  (but that's my opinion, chemistry concepts come very easily to me..someone else may think differently)

I can't speak for other p-chem labs, but mine is a brute.  The lab reports are 20-30 pages in length, they must be written as if I were submitting my experiment to a scientific journal.  

What kind of reference are you looking for?  Physical properties?  Get a CRC Handbook if you can afford it.  If you can't, use the NIST chemistry webbook.  It's gotten me through a few last minute lab reports when I didn't have a CRC available.  

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 11/11/2003 08:29:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums