The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do my mp3 players all break?  (Read 3792 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why do my mp3 players all break?
« on: 29/04/2012 11:33:01 »
Katianne Klemann  asked the Naked Scientists:

I have had many mp3 players before.  They have all been getting broken.  I do not drop them or anything.  I have had to get 3 different mp3 players in one month.  The problem with them is they will not charge on the computer and the headphone jack starts to act up.  My mom said it is because of how my body is.  So the only mp3 players I have been able to us are the ones that use aaa batteries.  I am wanting to buy a new mp3 and do not know which one will be good for me to get.

Katianne Klemann

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 29/04/2012 11:33:01 by _system »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Re: Why do my mp3 players all break?
« Reply #1 on: 29/04/2012 19:41:30 »
It's hard to say without knowing what models you are using, but the failure of the headphone jack is not all that unusual. My wife has a nasty habit of wrecking them too!

The problem may be caused by exerting too much lateral (sideways) force on the jackplug when it is in the player, either by bumping it, or by yanking the cable. The sockets are not usually very robust, so it does not take much to make them act up.

It may also just be a lot of plugging and unplugging that's doing it. I don't know what the expected life (number of insertions/removals) for the sockets is, but I suspect for some of them at least, it is not a big number.

I've no idea what might be going on with the charging problem!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/04/2012 23:08:42 »
I got an HP Veer Cell phone recently.
They are available for quite cheap on E-Bay now.
It is a little tiny thing. 
The battery life could be better, and apparently it is a big pain to replace the battery. 
I do get a couple of days of stand-by time.  I don't use it as a MP3 player, so I can't say how long it would last for that.  I suppose I could try it out.

However, as far as the topic.
It has a magnetic charger jack. 

Then, the headphone jack also connects to the magnetic charger jack.  So, it also is break-away.  It seems like a pretty sweet idea.

You can buy rechargeable NiMH batteries (or possibly Lithium) batteries for your generic MP3 players, and not have to throw away quite so many alkaline batteries.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/04/2012 02:54:55 »
Katianne Klemann  asked the Naked Scientists:
... I have had to get 3 different mp3 players in one month.  The problem with them is they will not charge on the computer

The common denominator seems to be the computer which may not produce sufficient current from one USB socket to charge the MP3 players, [not all USB ports are created equal].

If that is the cause you could try a twin plug USB cable  ... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=39424.msg356761#msg356761

or a separate mains-USB power supply ... http://www.maplin.co.uk/batteries-and-power/usb-power-supplies/usb-power-supplies

or a "self-powered" USB hub ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub#Power
« Last Edit: 30/04/2012 03:12:56 by RD »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #4 on: 19/05/2012 22:40:55 »
I see a lot of people tightly wrapping the earphone cable around their phone/mp3 player when they are not listening to it - particularly with the cable being sharply bent and tight where it leave the plug. This is a guaranteed recipe to create a "loose connection" in the cable at the plug.

If you must wrap up the cable, then please wind it so that there's a loose loop on the end that goes to the plug.

A lot of earphone sockets are soldered onto a circuit board and have very poor mechanical robustness and also fail for that reason (although fairly easily fixed with a fine soldering iron if you can get the case apart without breaking anything).

I have a mp3 player from a few years ago (Sony NWZ-B135) where the earphone socket appears to be designed as structural part of the case - which seems like a good idea.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 25/05/2012 11:11:26 »
Take a look on eBay and you will find a huge number of compact digital cameras' for sale listed as 'not working' or 'for spares and repairs'.

I do wonder if some modern gadgets have got too small for our great big clumsy paws, resulting in damage through normal everyday use.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/05/2012 19:10:23 »
I do wonder if some modern gadgets have got too small for our great big clumsy paws, resulting in damage through normal everyday use.
I don't think I ever dropped my Dad's SLR (no "D").

It weighed like a brick, and one always put the strap around one's neck when carrying it.
Of course, even years ago there were smaller 110 film cameras that were essentially "disposable".

Perhaps one of the issues today is that people treat their prize $500 cameras as if they are $20 disposables.
(or for that matter, MP3 players or smart phones).

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/05/2012 19:56:06 »
My former boss managed to drop his Blackberry in the toilet. Then he managed to do it again with the replacement!

(There were times when I would gladly have thrown mine in a river!)

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/2012 12:23:20 »
Ha, my first mobile (given to me by my employer)  had a standby life of 8 hours which is great of you dont have to make or receive calls.  It ended up drop kicked into the Manchester Shp Canal after a particularly frustrating morning, although as far as my boss was concerned it fell out of my pocket when I was taking a water sample...

In answer to the question I suspect RD has the truth of it - the usb port on my pc does not charge my mp3 player (or phone) even though the devices can talk to each other, but the powered hub does...

Offline weirdscience

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2012 21:55:56 »
most of the time, you get what you pay for. chances are your buying cheaply made and designed off-brand mp3 players. buying cheap stuff isn't always the best option as it has to be replaced more frequently, therefore costing the same (or more $) and creating more waste.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2012 21:55:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length