The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would this make a good material for spectacles?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Would this make a good material for spectacles?
« on: 29/04/2012 12:21:01 »
Khanyisa Weeder  asked the Naked Scientists:

Good day Chris,

My name is Khanyisa and I am a Surface Design student currently studying at Cape Peninsula University of Technology in Cape Town, South Africa. At the moment, we are busy with a project where we have to design a pair of spectacles using a different material that is on the market.

My lecturer had told me about you, she said you are a genius and the most clever man in the world. When I heard this, I was so excited to hear from you, want to know if you will be able to answer a question for me:

For my spectacles, I would like to use the light technology called Elumin8. I've done some of my own research, but I would like to know if it possible to use this material.
Considering:
- How does one maintain it?
-How is it charged? and any other factors that I should consider when designing my spectacles.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your time,
Khanyisa

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 29/04/2012 12:21:01 by _system »

Offline Sprool

• View Profile
Re: Would this make a good material for spectacles?
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2012 12:16:09 »
this company makes photovoltaic cells and LED's which i presume are embedded into acrylic resin, hardly new material. Do you want to make your spectacles glow with LED light or collect energy from the sun (if so, why?) ior do you want to use the acrylic resin to make the lenses, if so you need to consider clarity, refractive index, ease of moulding and grinding, impact resistance, cost.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2012 15:42:52 »
Or,
Is the question about Electroluminescence, one of the technologies employed by Elumin8, as well as many other companies.  While the LED would give point-source lighting, Electroluminescent technology could give a more diffuse and moldable lighting. 

Is the idea to have lighted frames?  Why?  Cosmetics?  I would think they would be quite distracting.  Energy requirements would also be a problem.  Batteries?

Incorporating a flashlight into glasses frames might be an interesting idea though.  Does the Electroluminescence give enough power for the beam?  Or would one wish to use conventional LEDs?

Another topic that showed up with research was Photoluminescence, or much more passive "glow in the dark".  Usually charged by light exposure during the day, and thus no batteries needed.  It might be helpful for finding one's glasses on the nightstand.  However, the effect normally doesn't last for a long period.

Back to the Electroluminescence.  An interesting technology might be to have a generally clear lens doped with an Electroluminescent display grid, in which one could display information over the normal visual scene.  Of course, everything requires POWER.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2012 15:42:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums