The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you believe in the Dark Matter  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Do you believe in the Dark Matter
« on: 07/05/2012 00:36:18 »
I had to start this again as I have a burning comment to how I feel this thread should have concluded.

DARK MATTER DOES EXISTS.  There can be no argument to state otherwise.  I can make this statement for the following reason;

Dark matter is the name given to the unexplained missing mass in our Universe.  Whatever it is or is not, one thing is certain and that is Dark matter exists. 
Dark matter could simply be an error in our understanding of physics.  That might be unlikely but if it turns out that Dark matter is the name for the error it still exists.

The only reason this unknown is called Dark Matter is they did not want to call it.......... We don't have a clue. 

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Re: Do you believe in the Dark Matter
« Reply #1 on: 07/05/2012 01:16:26 »
I had to start this again as I have a burning comment to how I feel this thread should have concluded.

DARK MATTER DOES EXISTS.  There can be no argument to state otherwise.  I can make this statement for the following reason;
Dark matter is the name given to the unexplained missing mass in our Universe.  Whatever it is or is not, one thing is certain and that is Dark matter exists. 
Dark matter could simply be an error in our understanding of physics.  That might be unlikely but if it turns out that Dark matter is the name for the error it still exists.
I'm glad you stared this thread again too. But as I said to someone. I only had a vauge familiarity with it. I wa intending to make it a priority in learning now that there were people to discuss it with. The text I have to learn astronomy is The Cosmic Perspective - 2nd Ed.. On page 613 in chapter 21 the author writes
In this chapter, we will investigate why most astronomers believe in that dark matter exists.
Before I learn any details I see that there are two possibilities

(1) dark matter exists

(2) What we know about gravity is flawed and when we figure it out we'll have fixed the dark matter problem

You wrote
You made a logical error here. One thing you forgot was that the theory of gravity that we have could be flawed. It could be that we don't the actual law of physics. This is what somene else was trying to say but didn't have the patience for other ideas to be posted. That was one of my ideas. I just never got around to posting it. I need learn more about the theory before I could pos it. That's why I myself don't make statments like this one
This is what I meant by the theory of gravity as it is coiuld be flawed. But you can't properly refer to an error in a theory as dark matter.

Consider the difference between Newtonian Gravity and Einstein's GTR.They mke different predictions on the amout of gravity and the amount of active gravitational mass. But we could never use the term "Dark Matter" any where in that theory and be correct.
« Last Edit: 07/05/2012 01:21:41 by Pmb »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/05/2012 01:51:58 »
There is one point I'd like to make before I hit the sack. The fact that physicists postulate one possibility for dark matter as being blackholes just goes to show that the structure of the galaxies that can be formed can be done with regular matter at reasonbale places throughout the galaxies. It therefore seems quite plausible that the matter is normal matter but interacts only gravitationaly with other matter. So it seems quite plausible that you're right but, at worst, for the wrong reasons.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2012 01:56:28 »
So then... :) 

If Dark matter turns out to be a misunderstanding of physics, then you might be able to say Dark matter brought down Newton.... (even though it never existed)  In that context dark matter would just be a mathematical construct used for that very purpose. 

You could even go as far as to state that Dark matter is just a question in physics. 

I was under the impression that Dark matter had been mapped using gravitational lensing?  Or if this was not dark matter is invisible and has mass which sounds a little bit like what Dark matter is proposed to be.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2012 04:34:10 »
So then... :) 

If Dark matter turns out to be a misunderstanding of physics, then you might be able to say Dark matter brought down Newton....
Not if they are mutualy exclusive.

You sure want to save the dark matter hypothesis, don't you? What, may I ask, would be the purpose of saving a theory just so you can save its structure? I'm not sure if I phrased that correctly. Perhaps someone else could phrase it better than I can at this point.
« Last Edit: 07/05/2012 04:39:07 by Pmb »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2012 04:34:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length