The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: the speed of you computer  (Read 2010 times)

Offline satrah

• View Profile
the speed of you computer
« on: 11/05/2012 06:27:07 »
Why is it that when a new operating system for windows come out it is said that the new system is faster that the pervious system. Is this misleading, as the new operating system requires or uses software that need new more RAM or more complicating software. This making it the same at the pervious operating system when it come to time speed. For e.g. the speed of starting your computer. 

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: the speed of you computer
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2012 10:31:21 »
Ahhh
The Great Slowdown.

It is my belief that hardware companies and software companies alike all benefit from successive upgrades slowing down the computers, as people upgrade software and hardware when their computer is no longer up to snuff.

It is hard to believe that I've once used "high-end" computers with 4.77 MHZ CPU, 640 KB RAM, and 10 MB HDD, 360 KB FDD. 

I found some Windows 7, Vista, XP benchmarks. 
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/benchmarks-windows-7-rtm-versus-vista-xp/22006
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2886/windows_7_vs_vista_cpu_memory_performance_comparison/index.html

They are all extremely close, and in fact Windows 7 preforms slightly better than the other operating systems on many of the benchmarks.

Yet, I don't think it tells the whole picture.

What has occurred over time is that the programs do more and more.  And, people demand more of them. 
Real Time Antivirus
Real Time Spell Checking
Real Time Autocorrect
Real Time Word Completion.
Background pictures.
Tabbed Browsing.
More complex Javascript in web pages.
CACHING (which helps speed, but takes resources including more CPU load).
And, everything ads up to larger files.

There seems to be a belief in programming that a PC has infinite resources.

Anyway, I always like to get more options.  But...  in many cases they may be counter-productive.  What I really need is for stuff to just work.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2012 19:38:53 »
There seems to be a belief in programming that a PC has infinite resources.

Yes, this results from sofware programmers demanding, and getting, the best computers to work on. In my view they should always have low-end machines then they might be more in tune with the users of their overblown and overcomplicated software solutions. You generally don't need a powerful machine on which to develop code anyway.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2012 20:36:54 »

You generally don't need a powerful machine on which to develop code anyway.

Dang right! If it was up to me, code would be abolished and replaced with diagrams. Imagine how far the industrial revolution would have gone if everything had been described in words.

(Retires to underground bunker.)

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2012 02:12:06 »
I used to work with 7 platter 12" 250mb disks and thought the capacity awsome now that amount can be expended on a screen gadget without a second thought.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/06/2012 08:40:08 »
I used to work with 7 platter 12" 250mb disks and thought the capacity awsome now that amount can be expended on a screen gadget without a second thought.
That is HUGE!!!!

The first server I worked on had a 40 MB HDD.
We kept running out of space until I realized the number file handles were set wrong, and were only effectively using 20 MB, being shared among about 50 users or so.  Of course, many people used 360 KB floppy disks to store their data.  If you cut a square notch in the side, you could flip your disk over, and get an additional 360 kb on the back.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 03/06/2012 08:40:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length