The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What happens to all the dust we inhale ?  (Read 12616 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What happens to all the dust we inhale ?
« on: 28/05/2006 20:32:23 »
Does it stay within us all our lives ?

Is it absorbed into the body ?

Does it leave with exhalation ?

what happens to it ?...someone tell me ?

many thanks....love you lots xxxxxx

mwah mwah mwah !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to all the dust we inhale ?
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2006 21:23:26 »
I don't know, but when you inhale smoke particals I would think it would build up in the lungs, causing problems down the road, I wonder if that applies to dust too. I know it makes you choke in large quanities I have to wear a mask if the back field is particularly dry during summer mowing due to the amont of dust. I have also heard that you can pick up plague like disease from very old dust, I don't know how true that is, but it makes you think. I think dust can harbor a multitude of mites and other types of things. That is a great Question! should one worry when inhaling small amounts of dust, or dust from certain areas, like old barnes or attics ect.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2006 22:10:10 »
Some at least would be expelled through mucus excretion (i.e. the mucus would trap dust from the lungs and bring it up through the nose).

A small amount will probably remain permanently, but a smoker who has given up smoking will clear most of the residue from their lungs, although it may take several years.

Some dust might possibly trigger an immune response (in the worst case, this might trigger al allergic reaction).  What impact this has in the overall scheme of things, aside from allergic reactions, I don't know.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/05/2006 18:14:32 »
Hmmmmm!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/05/2006 19:59:17 »
Tbank you Karen and thank you George.

I would have thought some gets absorbed but whatever the case...too much dust is not good for you.

I can imagine Karen, it must be quite a dust cloud you have during dry simmer mowing eh ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

ROBERT

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2006 15:09:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Some at least would be expelled through mucus excretion (i.e. the mucus would trap dust from the lungs and bring it up through the nose).

The dust-laiden mucus is also swallowed:-
" All of these airways are lined by cells. The mucus they produce catches most of the dust particles. Tiny hairs called cilia, covering the walls of the air tubes, move the mucus upward and out into the throat, where it is either coughed up and spat out, or swallowed."
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/lungs_dust.html

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/06/2006 20:43:59 »
Man the dust can be really bad, especially if we are having alot of Golpher problems. Which we are this year. Seems their little mounds cause quite the dustbowl when mowing. It is a rider mower so you just have to make sure you don't drive right back into the middle of what you stirred up!

ROBERT

« Reply #7 on: 05/06/2006 13:07:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

Man the dust can be really bad, especially if we are having alot of Golpher problems. Which we are this year. Seems their little mounds cause quite the dustbowl when mowing. It is a rider mower so you just have to make sure you don't drive right back into the middle of what you stirred up!

What about trying a "solar moler" to deter your Gophers, Karen ?
http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=19043&MMCF_Froogle
(Moles are the UK equivalent of American Gophers)
« Last Edit: 05/06/2006 13:09:09 by ROBERT »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/06/2006 04:18:14 »
What the heck is a solar moler, I better go check this out!..............................Kind of cool except they don't deliver outside of the UK. I am in California. Hey I bet I could work something out. Robert it says they are good for up to 7000 ft. so how many would I need for 2 acres. I am not good at number conversion. How many ft to and acre? Do you know?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/06/2006 04:22:06 »
Yeah the golphers and wood rats are horrible this time of year. Golphers for the mounds and holes and the rats try to get into absolutely everything!
Nasty little varmits. I never did like Rats and I like golphers about as much!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/06/2006 14:10:08 »
Hey Karen - Here is another link for a solar moler, or you can google it and get several other links that are available in the USA.  This looks promising.  I think I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.siliconsolar.com/shop/catalog/Solar-Moler-p-145.html

Carolyn

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/06/2006 17:05:58 »
Thanks a bunch Carolyn I will check them out! ...... Wow it has the conversion. COOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I need to stake them out about every 47 ftI think I will start 47 ft inside the property line and move across and up that way. I think 4 to 6 of them might be about right. I will have to go pace it off. they sound like a great idea.

ROBERT

« Reply #12 on: 07/06/2006 13:46:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

Thanks a bunch Carolyn I will check them out! ...... Wow it has the conversion. COOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I need to stake them out about every 47 ftI think I will start 47 ft inside the property line and move across and up that way. I think 4 to 6 of them might be about right. I will have to go pace it off. they sound like a great idea.

I have remembered another ecologically sound  mole/gopher deterrent:
Plant child's pinwheels in the mounds, the vibrations form the rotation supposedly deter the critters. Pinwheels will be cheaper to buy than a "solar molers" but equally cheap to run, (wind power).
« Last Edit: 07/06/2006 14:00:20 by ROBERT »

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08/06/2006 15:36:04 »
the macrophages in the Lungs get the whole dust particles.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08/06/2006 17:41:55 »
What are the Macrophages, Pardon My lack of Knowledge! Do they hold it there or does the body eliminate them so how?

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09/06/2006 10:06:24 »
Well the white blood cells when enters the tissue from the blood they are termed as macrophages. So they engulf all the dust particles and then when their life span is completed which is about a month they are ruptured in the spleen and from their those dust particles are then released in the blood and is filtered through the kidneys, its a time consuming process, i mean its a late response.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11/06/2006 10:50:08 »
Heres another dumb question. If it is filtered (through) the kidneys, where does it go from there. Does it become a waste product and then become disposed of through bladder or bowels, or does it remain in the kidney and cause problems? Ruptured in the spleen then released into the blood and filtered through the kidneys? Hummmmmm! Yeah then what? Do the kidneys purify them or something. It seems that I remember something about your kidneys helping to clean impuities from your body. Seems as if too much could cause a problem in the kidney or liver.....Karen

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18/06/2006 16:41:51 »
obviously its filtered through the kidneys and then eliminated through the body in the urine.

Ethos

« Reply #18 on: 25/03/2009 01:37:41 »

what happens to it ?...someone tell me ?

It turns into buggers and lung oysters.......Hey?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26/03/2009 09:50:18 »
LUNG OYSTERS!! LOL LOL.. That's funny I have never heard that term used before.. LOL....

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19 on: 26/03/2009 09:50:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums