The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: question on faster-than-light travel  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Xule

• View Profile
question on faster-than-light travel
« on: 28/05/2006 21:00:50 »
when goind past the speed of light, is it true that it is theorised that time goes backward?
if so, when travelling in a vessel going backward in time, would the reversal of time affect you [ie, would you get younger] or would you pass backward through time unaffected?

"Never tell the same lie twice."

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: question on faster-than-light travel
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2006 21:36:30 »
The faster you go the slower time moves for you compared to others not travelling with you.

If you took a clock along with you you would notice no difference in the rate that it ticks,time for you would be normal but 1 year for you could be 100 for everyone you left on earth depending on your speed.

It would also be impossible to achieve the speed of light due to the level of energy required,you could theorectically get close to it but never equal or exceed it.

Michael

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2006 21:43:21 »
As I see it, if a body was to achieve the speed of light it would attain universal proportions!?

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 28/05/2006 22:04:45 »
Aside from the issue of whether FTL travel is possible, my understanding is not that you would get negative time, but you would get imaginary time.

The equation is for changes in relativistic time is:t[r] = t[0]/sqrt(1- v^2/c^2)  

As you can see, if v > c, then the divisor becomes an imaginary number (i.e. a number that is the square root of a negative number).

That having been said, this is pure conjecture, as no-one to my knowledge has actually demonstrated that relativity actually holds true at faster than light speeds.

George
« Last Edit: 29/05/2006 00:20:01 by another_someone »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 28/05/2006 22:04:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums