The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it safe for someone with hypertension to travel at high speed by train?  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
Hi!

i want to take my grandma to Beijing from Shanghai for a visit.
she suffers high blood pressure, i dont know if its a good idea for her to sit in a fast train (like 250km/h-300km/h). So I'm writing here to seek for help and or answer!

anybody knows or have any idea how i can solve this problem and take her there?

thank you in advance!!
Polaris
« Last Edit: 18/05/2012 20:56:01 by chris »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Re: a question about high blood pressure!
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2012 18:47:18 »
What would be wrong with a fast train? It would reduce the travel time, and it would probably be less stressful than flying. Just don't tell her how fast it is :)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2012 21:16:26 »
In the USA, high blood pressure is normally treated quite aggressively. 

Beta Blockers can both reduce blood pressure and reduce anxiety, at which point, the hypertension diagnosis wouldn't be a major problem.

On normal trains, if one is careful, one can get up and walk around, perhaps go to the food car.  How smooth are the high speed trains?  I would imagine that some of the Chinese trains would be crowded, but perhaps it would be quite comfortable in first class on a high speed train.

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2012 03:53:55 »
the fast train is called CRH, new and relatively smooth and wouldnt be crowded because everybody has a seat. (do you call crowded when all the seats are fully taken?) 

how is it?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2012 07:43:04 »
(do you call crowded when all the seats are fully taken?) 
how is it?
I've never been on a Chinese Train.

In Italy, on a trip down to a town called Uggiano La Chiesa near Christmas, I was with a group where we had 1 seat for 6 people.  The rest of us were standing or sitting in the aisles. 

Still, if every seat is filled to capacity, a train can seem somewhat crowded, but it is probably not too bad.

Flying would likely take less than half as long as the high speed train, perhaps a couple of hours in the air.

If you drive, you can go at your own pace, and stop quite frequently.  But, 1500 miles (RT) in a car is not necessarily fun.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to explain this to your grandmother, but as I sit here in England I'm doing about 800 km/hr because of the rotation of the earth.
It has absolutely no effect on my blood pressure.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to explain this to your grandmother, but as I sit here in England I'm doing about 800 km/hr because of the rotation of the earth.
It has absolutely no effect on my blood pressure.
That is not exactly true.

Due to Geezer's favorite force, Centrifugal Force, you actually weigh slightly less than you would otherwise weigh if Earth was not spinning.

And, thus, your blood pressure is less than it would otherwise need to be if the Earth was not spinning due to less force required to pump the blood up to the brain, and down to the legs and back up to the heart.

Perhaps your Grandmother should only ride the bullet train from West to East, and should hire a human powered Rickshaw for the return trip  :D

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Clifford,
Classically, my velocity has exactly no effect on my blood pressure.
My acceleration might.
However as far as advice to the OP is concerned, there's no reason to avoid high speed travel.

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
thank you people for your kind advices, i also went to a pharmacy and she told me it has no direct effect, the only bad thing about the train is that the windows cannot be open, the air inside isnt so fresh. and she should keep watching her blood pressure. by the way, i got a
pack of garlic pill ( knoblauch) from germany for her. hope that helps a lil bit.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

i got a pack of garlic pill ( knoblauch) from germany for her. hope that helps a lil bit.

It might give her some more space. Peeling a large orange has a similar effect.

Offline Polaris

• View Profile

i got a pack of garlic pill ( knoblauch) from germany for her. hope that helps a lil bit.

sorry i dont understand what this means.
but we tried and it turned out my grandma was totally fine with the train.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is she scared by traveling at high speed? This might make a high blood pressure condition worse.

I have traveled in a conventional high-speed train between England and France - the only physiological effect I felt was when the train passed through tunnels - there was an air pressure change inside the train at the start and end of the tunnel, which caused some strange sensations in the ears.

I also recently traveled on the Shanghai maglev train (430 km/h), which provided an extremely smooth ride - except when it passed another one going at the same speed in the opposite direction! I can't see this train complicating high blood pressure.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

sorry i dont understand what this means.
but we tried and it turned out my grandma was totally fine with the train.

I don't know about your Gran, but when I eat garlic, people don't want to get too close to me.

Peeling an orange usually squirts oil out of the orange's skin, which is pretty annoying if you are sitting next to the person who is peeling the orange.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums