The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Too much cortisol Is bad for brain And body? How Much Is Excess?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline davekm

• View Profile
Too much cortisol is bad for physical and mental faculties.

If you go to football (soccer) matches, which are very loud, or music gig, this can be 2 hours raised cortisol. Is this too much?
« Last Edit: 01/06/2012 11:26:09 by davekm »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I dont think the connection between adrenaline and cortisol is that direct. Long term biological or social stressors stimulate the hypothalamus to release CHR, which the stimulates the pituitary to release ACTH, that goes to the adrenal gland and makes it release cortisol. The triggers that start the whole ball rolling are mediated by several neurotransmitters in the brain, and is only indirectly affected by high adrenaline levels (adrenaline increases the production of precursers to ACTH)The release of cortisol is more related to fear response in the brain than general excitement, so I don't think watching soccer would raise your cortisol levels unless you bet and lost a lot of money on the game week after week and somebody was going to break your knees.

Offline davekm

• View Profile
Soccer stadiums are like cauldrons of noise. Does that not create a fear response? There is also the stress of willing your team to score and win.

Offline davekm

• View Profile
The stress of willing your team to win would only create cortisol if anxiety induces a cortisol response. Do you know if anxiety does increase cortisol?

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Well, every thing I've read says it has to be chronic and somewhat continuous anxiety lasting weeks or months. The flight or fight response is a short term emergency response involving adrenaline that prepares the body to respond quickly to some event (like running away from a tiger, or jumping out of the way of an on coming car.) The long term response to stress involving cortisol was natures way of getting the body through tough times, like winter, famine, war, etc. and it does do that, but at a price, if it continues too long.

I suppose it would depend on how emotionally involved a person is with their favorite team's success or failure, but I don't think even the most ardent fan would perceive his team's loss as serious threat to his own safety or well being, enough to trigger increases in cortisol or induce a kind of post traumatic stress disorder kind of thing.

Offline davekm

• View Profile
Do anxiety and stress cause cortisol to rise?

It is said that rock, heavy metal & techno music increase cortisol. I don't get this as music is enjoyable.

I think I live a high cortisol lifestyle. I love horror films, going to gigs, playing hard videogames & watching/attending sports.

« Last Edit: 01/06/2012 11:28:16 by davekm »

Offline davekm

• View Profile
bump

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums