The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

Have you ever bought something (paid money) based on unsolicited online advertising?

Never
4 (80%)
A couple of times
0 (0%)
Several times, or frequently
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Have you ever bought something based on unsolicited online advertising?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Have you ever bought something based on unsolicited online advertising?

I.E. actually paid for services. 

Facebook had its IPO last week, and the stocks promptly dropped by about 20%, with some predictions that it could fall much further.  I don't think I have ever even clicked on a single Facebook ad, and it is one of the websites that I leave blocked 99% of the time with NoScript.

If I want to buy something online, I'll specifically look for it.  I'm rarely swayed by passive ads for goods or services that I don't want.

Companies like Amazon come up with "related products" which I will sometimes view...  when I am actually shopping online, but that is different than buying a car because I saw a picture of one when I was reading the news on Yahoo.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
Not that I can recall, although I tend to use adblocker or simialr.

I was interested the other day to see an ad on one site I occasionally visit, along the lines of "hey are you using an adblocker?  this reduces the revenue avaliable to our software developers"

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I think Fazepuke is looking more like AOL every day!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Actually I am waiting for some little blue diamond shaped pills, a strange vacuum pump device, a share of a holiday home in Florida, and my new credit report - hopefully they should all be in post now!  I will let you know how everything turns out but I am sure I can trust the companies - after all it isnt just anybody who is allowed to advertise on the internet.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
And in all seriousness yes I have.  Glasses - I saw an ad for online specs and haven't used anywhere land-based since.  I first heard of Avast (I think it was Avast might have been a different utility) in a side-box advert - tried the freeversion and have paid subs for it for an office machine.  I needed to buy a pressie for a retiring colleague and because I was on a shipping site the google ads were of nautical memorabilia and after clicking through I found the perfect ships clock. 

So yes - I am the mug that makes googleads a viable proposition

Offline Mika

• First timers
    • View Profile
On the internet I can find almost anything I want.  So there is no need to respond to an advert - it is usually cheaper elsewhere.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
On the internet I can find almost anything I want.  So there is no need to respond to an advert - it is usually cheaper elsewhere.
Excellent point,

Although, I suppose part of the idea of an ad is to plant the seed in one's mind to buy something.  Thus, a car company may choose to support dealership ads because the factory doesn't care where you buy the car, just as long as you buy it.

Anyway, it never hurts to search for what you want beyond the first ad that pops up.

Personally, I'm not running adblock software, but I choose NOT to allow all websites full access to java and cookies on my machine.  Companies are perfectly welcome to present ads in HTML if they wish.

Companies like Ebay and Amazon do a good job at using past information to predict what one might be interested in.  Giving full access to one's computer, a "God Company" could make much better determinations of interests.  I just choose not to give anybody that information.  And, as mentioned elsewhere, I choose to use untrackable CASH for the majority of my retail transactions.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
I get the feeling that Fezbook is the most overated and overpriced business proposition.

I think I heard that at $104bn it is worth more than Boeing! How can a business which produces nothing be worth more than a business which sells aircraft around the world?!?!?!

I don't use Fezbook, I didn't like its format and don't like having ad's thrust in my face. The more someone pushes a product on me, the more anti I become.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I just found out they actually bought 650 patents off AOL!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I get the feeling that Fezbook is the most overated and overpriced business proposition.

I think I heard that at $104bn it is worth more than Boeing! How can a business which produces nothing be worth more than a business which sells aircraft around the world?!?!?!

How much is Facebook making off your data on the stock market?...

The company has 526 million daily active users.

An average [Facebook] user will be valued $192.94.
https://fbme.disconnect.me/login
« Last Edit: 26/05/2012 08:09:17 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
The point where Facebook is claiming value is that they claim to have 835 Million "active" users. 
That is nearly three times the population of the USA.

However, in reality, they only have about 157 million users in the USA and 28 million in the UK.  Still, that is about half of the US population.

So, as a country, if they can claim $1 ad revenue per user, that brings in just under a billion dollars a year, AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO BUILD A THING.

If one only generates real ad revenue in the US, Canada, and Europe, perhaps that number is less than half. 

Unfortunately, Facebook already admits that it is struggling with generating revenue on cellular based services.  GM has decided that its ads are no longer cost beneficial.  Part of my question here was how effective this kind of advertizing system actually is.

My having a Facebook certainly isn't worth $192.94 to anybody  [xx(]

Since I hadn't really thought much about Facebook ads, I thought I would log into my Facebook account and see what I would see.  It turns out that I had clicked on a link to a run/race website earlier (but did not sign up), but however, I largely ignored ads to ATT and other organizations.

One thing that happens from time to time is that formerly free systems decided to start charging access fees for "advanced services".  Then, slowly whittle away at the free services until nothing is left.  But, it is a tough market, and many of the companies that transit from free to non-free services fail as they are soon replaced by a newer, better free service once again.

In fact, the other risk with a company like facebook is that the next, better thing may be just around the corner, especially when many of their new users are teenagers that can easily jump to something better.  If the ad portion of Facebook becomes too intrusive, it is possible that people will naturally gravitate to something more pleasant to use.

Anyway, the revenue to share price with Facebook seems to be wildly optimistic.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage

Anyway, the revenue to share price with Facebook seems to be wildly optimistic.

I see the share price has plummeted. It is now the worst performing IPO in the last decade and Mark Zuckerberg, after his dramatic rise to one of the top 40 of Bloomberg's billionaires list, has made a spectacular departure from the list. Mind you, I still wouldn't mind even just 1% of his wealth!!!

Personally, I think we have not yet seen an end to the fall in the share price. A lot of people are going to get their fingers badly burnt. The question is do they cut their losses and run or stick it out? The second option might well prove even more costly than it already has and be a tad foolish.

Speculate to accumalate, but only if you can afford to take the losses when they happen and, above all, recognise and admit when you have picked a potential lemon. Otherwise, you may become a Suckerberg who hit an iceberg and made titanic losses!
« Last Edit: 30/05/2012 13:27:35 by Don_1 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Agreed.

Reminds me of the ridiculousness of AOL owning Time-Warner!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Otherwise, you may become a Suckerberg...[on Fezbook]...who hit an iceberg and made titanic losses!

« Last Edit: 30/05/2012 15:20:58 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
ps - life is a lot simpler and easier for me now since I quit that privacy-invading Fezbook monster over a year ago
: - )

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
ps - life is a lot simpler and easier for me now since I quit that privacy-invading Fezbook monster over a year ago
: - )
Facebook will have some benefit when my next HS Reunion rolls around, after which I'll likely forget about it for another decade or so.

Intrusiveness will likely be a huge issue for future Facebook growth predictions. 

If the ads and advertisements get to be too intrusive, the company will crash.  One of the things that I highly dislike about the company is seeing its name pop up on javascript on many websites that have nothing to do with it.  I don't want any company to be tracking my web browsing, and potentially posting it for all the world to see.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Having invested in 100 Fezbook shares at the launch, an investor would be $1075 out of pocket now.

Will the word 'Facebook' become synonymous with spectacular stock launches which fail to live up to expectations in the future?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length