The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are two photons in a superposition until they are measured?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline asterisk

• First timers
    • View Profile
how do we know two photons are in a superposition until they are measured ?

[i]when a single photon is split into two, measurement on one influence the other[/i]

i hope you are familiar with this

« Last Edit: 29/05/2012 23:50:26 by chris »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Because they were created as a pair in a single interaction.  Photons are their own antiparticles and when you create new particles from the energy of an interaction you have to create a particle and an antiparticle.  the main point of the superposition is that we do not know which of the two is which until we interact with one of them.

Offline asterisk

• First timers
    • View Profile
the main point of the superposition is that we do not know which of the two is which until we interact with one of them.

that's obvious isn't it ? how do we supposed to know something before measurement??

and when we measure we are measuring definite pre definied.. let's say spin up photon 

the other photon will always be spin down  ?what is being spooky here ? i dont understand

what is the implication of measurement? and what is being communicated FTL speed ? spin up will always be spin up and spin down will always be spin down from the moment of their splitting

well you may have guessed by now... i have no idea about quantum stuff i just saw a vid on youtube

« Last Edit: 30/05/2012 12:39:29 by asterisk »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
No information is ever communicated FTL.  I will have a deeper read and see if I can answer your other questions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length