The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did any lunar astronauts see the footprints of their predecessors on the moon?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline clueless

• View Profile
Hello. Maybe someone here knows for a fact, if an astronaut saw old footprints while walking on the Moon, like, for instance, Charles Duke seeing footprints of Buzz Aldrin. I need the info for a project of mine. I suppose they always land on a different part of the Moon, so that pretty much answers my question, eh? :I :o
« Last Edit: 14/06/2012 08:42:16 by chris »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: question about astronauts and footprints on the Moon
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2012 11:54:51 »
As long as they were not blown away by the exhaust of the rocket on take off,  footprints and vehicle tracks would last a very long time on the surface of the moon because there is no atmosphere and therefore no wind but they would slowly blur over periods of millions of years due to the large thermal effects of expansion and contraction and impacts from micrometeorites.  They are still visible in the recent detailed lunar surveyor pictures as are the bits left behind.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2012 14:20:13 »
I should think that tracks left by robotic vehicles might become blurred by the vibration of loose moondust on the surface caused by Moonquakes.

Offline Guthers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2012 15:37:51 »
To answer the question, you are right. All the Apollo missions went to completely different locations and they didn't see the footprints left by the previous missions.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2012 02:05:53 »
I would have been really intriuging if like Robinson Crusoe they had seen a strange footprint

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2012 02:05:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums