The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is there to like about Windows 8?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is there to like about Windows 8?
« on: 03/06/2012 02:23:44 »
It is now available And I have setup a copy and find it has improved somewhat but cannot find much enthusiasm for it it seems to force all manner of stuff on you that is hard to get rid of and I hate the term APPS that they call programs all the time (and charge for!) and I cant contact my bank EGG account with it.
« Last Edit: 18/06/2012 08:41:57 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: 03/06/2012 05:24:10 »
You know,
I think that is true with many of the versions of Windows (as well as new Linux releases). 

One gets used to the "old" version.
Then the new version comes up with some hot new features. 
One would never really know about the new features unless they are turned on by default. 

But, then it seems like one wastes an extraordinary amount of time trying to turn off these hot new features.

Why on earth would I want windows to pop to maximized whenever I move them?  If I want my windows to be maximized, I'll simply click on the maximized button, or double click on the menu bar.

And, the clear menu bars?  Who ever came up with that?

And the control panel I can never find anything in?

What might be handy in the install is to pick out a number of the the most annoying features.  Have an install option "XP Feature Set & Advanced"...  to allow one to quickly select more standard settings.  Then, if one chooses further customization, click on advanced which would allow one to pick the individual options, all grouped together.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/06/2012 12:11:13 »
I never wanted all the fancy displays on win 7 I always set up the screen as basic.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/06/2012 13:14:55 »
... I cant contact my bank EGG account with it.

If the security or privacy settings on Internet Explorer browser are set to "high" it can block access to websites which require a login, [the default settings may be "high"]. If cookies are blocked (i.e. privacy on high) you're not gettin' in ...

Cookies
A cookie is a small piece of data sent by our website to your computer so that information can be recalled. This can only happen if cookies are enabled in your browser. If you are an existing customer you should already have cookies enabled, as this is needed to use the Egg website.

Security cookies
We have two cookies which are used to manage the customer log in for the Egg website. Both of these are required to authenticate the customer and you can't log in to the secure area without them. A permanent cookie is used to support fraud monitoring of applications to protect the customer from fraudulent account activity.
http://new.egg.com

[ IIRC some of your Windows OSes are cracked : personally I'd never access a bank via an operating system which wasn't legit, as it could come with malware pre-installed which could record and transmit my bank details to the cracker ]
« Last Edit: 03/06/2012 13:27:42 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2012 21:15:47 »
To the best of my knowledge my Windows 7 progam is quite legit have used it for two years with no problem while the windows 8 is the newly released public version straight from Microsoft.
RD
I am very puzzeld by your comment that some of windows os,s are cracked, how are you able to access the copies that I have stored in my reloads folder one of which came with the computer when I bought it second hand and the other which I downloaded as it came with SP1 installed but do not use
« Last Edit: 04/06/2012 08:06:01 by syhprum »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2012 08:13:03 »
I am very puzzeld by your comment that some of windows os,s are cracked

You mentioned previously about the possibility of obtaining cracked version of Windows 8 from file-sharing sites ...

... I expect it will be possible before long to download fully activated versions from file sharing sites.

and you were unconcerned about using cracked software ...

Reading RD's condemnation of "cracked" software I am put in mind of Robert Baden-Powells condemnation of "self abuse"

My recollection of that thread was that you had used, or intended to use, a cracked version of Windows, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

[ it does look a bit suspicious when this thread about Windows 8 is seven months after you mention your free six month trial of Windows 8
« Last Edit: 04/06/2012 08:28:47 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/06/2012 12:04:57 »
As I mentioned previously to the best of my knowledge the version windows 7 that I normaly use is quite legit but rather old and lacks SP1 hence has to downlowd about 150 updates if I do a reload, I did download a cracked version as an experiment but as it was rather suspisious so I do not use it.
Windows 8 preview is freely available at the moment but I do not know how long the free version lasts and as I do not like it I am unlikley to use it other than as a test.
The problem with EGG and windows 8 seems to be the new version of IE, EGG is very finicky and will only work with IE6 to IE9.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/06/2012 02:55:16 »
The problem with EGG and windows 8 seems to be the new version of IE, EGG is very finicky and will only work with IE6 to IE9.

I very rarely use IE, I use FireFox on Windows (and Linux). The only problem I encounter operating some websites is I have to temporarily disable the FireFox addons like NoScript and Ghostery to obtain full functionality.

Running Firefox on a lightweight Linux OS is very quick, (no anti-malware slowing things down),
e.g. http://www.browserlinux.com/ , just burn the ~100Mb file (iso image) to a write-only CD/DVD and you have a pristine (malware-free) operating system every-time you boot it up.

Linux, unlike Windows, is open source and free of charge ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux 
« Last Edit: 05/06/2012 03:12:21 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/2012 11:05:29 »
Accessing EGG with the new Windows 8 I find it has a endearing feature negative balances are converted to positive (I hope this gets back to the bank).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08/06/2012 12:35:40 »
This thread has lost page two [ ??? ]

The solution to the problem of accessing websites which are not up to speed with the latest version of Internet Explorer (IE10), use compatibility mode in IE "Tools", which effectively reverts to IE7 ... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_mode#Internet_Explorer

Update: I see page two has been split off into a separate thread ... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=44379.0
« Last Edit: 08/06/2012 23:43:44 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 08/06/2012 12:35:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums