The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is an electromagnetic force field feasible?  (Read 29064 times)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is an electromagnetic force field feasible?
« Reply #25 on: 20/06/2012 19:35:14 »
Nope.  The only problems are when something that's magnetized goes by.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20/06/2012 21:27:26 »
Nope.  The only problems are when something that's magnetized goes by.

No it ain't. At least, I don't think it is  :)

Currents will be induced in any metallic bullet because of its velocity, and those currents will result in some force interactions. I suspect the bullet would, at least, slow down a bit.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20/06/2012 23:29:02 »
I'm assuming here that the superconductor is uncharged to begin with.  It won't be emitting any electric or magnetic field, and if an uncharged, unmagnetized bullet goes by, it won't do anything to that bullet. 

If something with charge or a magnetic field passes by the superconductor then yes, there will be interaction.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21/06/2012 00:19:04 »
But any conductor, (bus, train, Previn, or super) radiates a field, unless of course it's slacking-off and not actually conducting anything.

(I probably missed an important point here because I was too lazy to actually read the entire thread!)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21/06/2012 02:08:17 »
The thread was originally about whether or not we could make a force field.  It turned to levitating diamagnetic materials with strong magnetic fields.  And then to superconductors, which are essentially super-diamagnetic--they levitate over even (relatively) weak magnets.  If you put a magnet over a superconductor (that has no current flowing initially), the magnet sets up a current within it that levitates the magnet.  If you put a non-magnet above the same superconductor, it won't do much.

Of course, if your superconductor is already conducting a current (say you have a superconducting solenoid), then you can use your superconductor as a strong magnet and do all the things you can do with a strong magnet.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21/06/2012 02:39:13 »
Well, yes, but is a superconductor that is not conducting really a superconductor? If it wasn't, how would you know?

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21/06/2012 17:56:31 »
Yes, the thread was initially about the possibility of an electromagnetic force field.

But the result of the topic hasn't changed, the purpose of my inquires are leading in the same direction.  Yes, not necessarily a force field, but still having a similar effect.  What i'm trying to examine is the applications of a electromagnetic/magnetic force that could altar the course of dangerous projectiles.  Maybe not completely stop the projectile, but possibly alter its course to a less dangerous positioning.  Now this would of course be stretching modern technology, (as I know) but would it not be possible to create a sort of suite that could determine through computer analysis the grade of material and plot out a course of magnetic strength to redirect that projectile within real time based off predetermined algorithms?

Correct me if I'm speaking nonsense  ;D
« Last Edit: 21/06/2012 17:58:19 by Voxx »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21/06/2012 21:10:16 »
If you don't care about being pelted at deadly speeds with every piece of iron in the area, you could certainly turn on a magnetic field to deflect projectiles.  What repels one type of matter might attract another, so you'd have to know all the matter around you.  Even then, it might not be possible to tailor a field to do exactly what you want. 

Tracking and analyzing the magnetic properties of incoming projectiles and tailoring magnetic fields in real time is well beyond our current technology.  But supposing we could and that you didn't care about being pelted by other matter in the area, you might be able to make this work in the distant future.

But the reason it won't get built is that it's far easier to destroy the incoming projectile, either by firing another projectile at it or by shooting it with a laser (which is also a form of EM energy).  That's something we can do today (for relatively slow-moving projectiles, at least).

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22/06/2012 01:33:37 »
Alright, thank you for your constant help and straight forward answers without criticism.  I will start a new thread with another idea I have then.

Offline Robro

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06/07/2012 02:57:31 »
I think your best bet for a 'force field' would be a very powerful particle beam laser that would vaporize projectiles before they reached your 'ship'. An old Sci-fi notion is that you would need to have a passive field already in place to deflect incoming objects. It would be more practical and efficient to zap projectiles individually as they approach. Given the advanced targeting computers of today, this would not be impossible. Just a thought.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06/07/2012 05:53:42 »
Having looked at the video about the force "wall" in the plastics plant, I can only conclude that something very remarkable has happened. Unfortunately, it is unclear what. One difficulty I have with the description is the notion that a field could hold air in a rigid configuration while it still remains a gas. That sounds like a contradiction. If air were held that tightly, it would condense, I would think, and take on the appearance of a visible mass of transparent material such as ice or water. It would basically liquify or freeze in place. Nothing like tht was reported. Another mystery is why, with forces this powerful, there were not lightning bolts shooting all over the place. None are reported. I think that the phenomenon in the plant needs to be studied more thoroughly; we simply don't know what happened.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16/07/2012 05:35:06 »
Having looked at the video about the force "wall" in the plastics plant, I can only conclude that something very remarkable has happened. Unfortunately, it is unclear what. One difficulty I have with the description is the notion that a field could hold air in a rigid configuration while it still remains a gas. That sounds like a contradiction. If air were held that tightly, it would condense, I would think, and take on the appearance of a visible mass of transparent material such as ice or water. It would basically liquify or freeze in place. Nothing like tht was reported. Another mystery is why, with forces this powerful, there were not lightning bolts shooting all over the place. None are reported. I think that the phenomenon in the plant needs to be studied more thoroughly; we simply don't know what happened.

Thank's for your input, it really does put more of an illuminate light on the said situation.

Also thank you Robro for your comment, it does put more confidence in my theory.

Offline Chrishumble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04/08/2012 09:48:15 »
I think I know what you are saying , the world of atoms are basically negative not positive. Our bodies and materials dont have a positive charge on them. So if one can generate a negative ion field a person or even a charged object would become negatively charged thus like chargers repel a force field. Now flip it the other way even in a positve charge filed a material ether n/p will become positve eventually once again like particials repel. If I took a piece of foil and wrapped a piece of plastic in it , the material would be effected by a magnetice field.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07/08/2012 18:56:26 »
I think I know what you are saying , the world of atoms are basically negative not positive. Our bodies and materials dont have a positive charge on them. So if one can generate a negative ion field a person or even a charged object would become negatively charged thus like chargers repel a force field. Now flip it the other way even in a positve charge filed a material ether n/p will become positve eventually once again like particials repel. If I took a piece of foil and wrapped a piece of plastic in it , the material would be effected by a magnetice field.

Thank you, my wording was twisted, (Partially because I didn't know what I was talking about >.>) A Negative Ionic Force Field/Negative Ion Repellent Field.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #38 on: 07/08/2012 18:56:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums