The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is this the first recorded use of Rock Power?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
Is this the first recorded use of Rock Power?
« on: 08/06/2012 14:04:54 »
Quarries can consume a lot of power moving, crushing, grading and washing rock etc.  So I was intrigued to see this news article...

http://www.agg-net.com/news/hanson-trial-rock-power-at-whatley-quarry

So is this the first use of tumbling rock to drive a machine?
Has any one got any ideas about other ways in whcih energy can be recovered from industrial processes?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Re: Is this the first recorded use of Rock Power?
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2012 15:39:40 »
I've got nothing against the idea but I'm guessing a team of Diesel dump-trucks are also required to carry the quarried stone back up out of the quarry - it would seem better if the stone didn't fall as far down in the first place.

TBH it looks a bit green-washy to me; I'm not seeing any figures on energy recovered here.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2012 18:48:18 »
It depends on the design of the quarry.

Nickel Mountain in Riddle Oregon had a overhead chain of ore cars that self powered the carrying of ore from the top of the mountain down to the smelter in the valley below.  That was decades ago, I don't remember if it actually had a generator connected to it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/x376/sets/72157594422624828/detail/
Here is the Hanna Nickel Tram that I believe was gravity powered, from at least 50 years ago, although it may be gone now.

« Last Edit: 08/06/2012 22:05:52 by CliffordK »

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/06/2012 14:36:17 »
Of course, I had not thought of gravity powered aerial ropeways.  There are the remains of the pylons coming down off Great Dunn Fell.

Peppercorn - I kind of agree with you this does seem a bit greenwashy - although this is an atempt to recover some power from an existing plant.  For the very reason you identify modern quarrying (at least in the UK) is generally moving towards using mobile plant (as it is more flexible and can reduce the haul distance for the dump trucks) rather than the big static set ups such as this.    However, many sites still have fixed plant, which often has to raise mineral quite high to allow surge piles to be created between different stages of processing.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/06/2012 14:36:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums