The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: When we sleep does our conscious go somewhere else?  (Read 4856 times)

Offline acecharly

• View Profile
Im wondering if we have some kind of life somewhere else which we go to when we sleep.

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers Ace

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
Re: When we sleep does our conscious go somewhere else?
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2012 21:39:32 »
I think that most of our conscious thought during sleep is just distraction to keep us from realizing that we're just lying in bed. Probably we do become aware of this regularly, but we are distracted again before we can act on it and wake up.

Offline loose_nukes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2012 17:07:48 »
Im wondering if we have some kind of life somewhere else which we go to when we sleep.

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers Ace
LOL,...............actually, if you are asleep, you're still in your bed. That is ofcourse, unless you are a sleep walker.

Sleep accompanied by dreams is just a mechanism for we humans to solve everyday problems that find their way into our subconscience mind.

No, I don't think we are wandering off to another life when we dream!!

Offline timjacobs

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/07/2012 20:15:05 »
Sleep accompanied by dreams is just a mechanism for we humans to solve everyday problems that find their way into our subconscience mind.

I agree with you, guy.
But I think Ace was not asking the question that simple way. Well, if we really live another life while dreaming?
I mean, it would be funny huh? Why not?

Offline loose_nukes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2012 00:23:05 »

I agree with you, guy.
But I think Ace was not asking the question that simple way. Well, if we really live another life while dreaming?
I mean, it would be funny huh? Why not?
Thank you sir for being so agreeable, nevertheless, I would make this simple observation. Our dreams are most assuredly, part of the reality of our present life and not some obscure form of an alternative reality.
« Last Edit: 20/07/2012 01:01:06 by loose_nukes »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2012 18:04:00 »
My conscious mind goes somewhere else when I'm awake.

No idea where, but I hope it will come back one day.

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/08/2012 20:48:46 »
It is an interesting idea, seems to me to be a state of mind, late at night. There is a radio show that plays on this you can download free, called "Ultima Thule".

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/08/2012 07:37:55 »
My pet theory is that there is a one-to-one correspondence between our emotions and the objects and transactions of reality. Since the emotions are produced by neurotransmitters which vary in quantities which produce different emotions, our dreams could be representing these emotions to us as the objects and transactions of reality they correspond to. During sleep, these neurotransmitter activities would change in random ways which would present to us as dream objects corresponding to the random emotions produced.

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2012 06:37:12 »
I tend to think of dreams as like a "life simulator" without all the pesky physics.

I often have different places in my dreams that I visit (in my dreams) although different stuff happens. They often revolve around geographical locations I have lived in the past where the main locations are featured (shops, friends houses, creeks, landmarks etc.) and all the in-between stuff doesn't exist, so the geography kind of warps around itself to make it all fit. I often found it interesting that it always seemed to warp in the same way.

It's probably an indication of how our memories are stored when we don't have reality to constantly cross-reference them.

At one stage I toyed with the idea (in the confines of my own head of course) that somehow everything we think and the vast world that seems to be created in our minds actually manfested itself in the universe somewhere as dark matter and/or energy.

Just a thought...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2012 06:37:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums