The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are electronics in beach houses more likely to break?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
richard moropa  asked the Naked Scientists:

Morning Chris; is it true that beach houses' furniture, especially electronic equipment, is  easily damaged?

I visited a guest house at the coast in Durban, SA and the owner told me that he TV sets dont last because of the conditions at the coast, I also realised that wooden doors around the coastal houses are not looking good, the reason im asking this question is that i'm planning relocating to the coast, so i'm scared this move could be costly.

I'm a regular listerner of your slot, the naked scientists on 702 talk station. Your
response will be highly appreciated
Regards
Richard
SA, Midrand

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/06/2012 14:30:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Are electronics in beach houses more likely to break?
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2012 00:20:53 »
Coastal properties are afflicted with SALT.  It kind of permeates the air along the coast.

It is extremely corrosive, especially damaging to anything that is plain steel.  I hadn't heard about electronic woes.  However, I could imagine that the salt could be damaging to any circuit boards, or electrical contacts.  Hopefully stuff inside the house could be moderately protected, but I assume people open the doors and windows a bit during the summer.

And, of course, it can be damaging to car bodies.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2012 11:15:52 »
High humidity, fog and salty sea spray combine to form a conductive path on the surface of electronic components and circuit boards. Modern electronics has a very fine gap between electrical conductors, which can be bridged by such a conductive film, causing the circuitry to malfunction.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2012 11:15:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums