The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why won't my motherboard see my HDD when booting from a SSD?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline sciencekid

• View Profile
I recently built a computer, and installed a SSD and a HDD. During setup of Win8, I unplugged the HDD so that the OS will be run from the SSD. However, once I finished installing the OS, and plugged in the HDD, the computer did not recognize the HHD. In the BIOS it recognized the HDD, but it never showed up in My Computer. In the end, according to the motherboard manual, I set up a raid array with the SSD and HDD, and it ended up crashing Windows. I reinstalled an iso image, but the HDD never showed up. I retried, but now, when it runs, it tells me that  I am missing operating system. Is it possible for me to start over, and delete everything i've done so far, or tell me what i did wrong.
Thanks

Specs
MBO- GIGABYTE P67X-UD3-b3
Processor- Intel i7 2600K LGA 1155
SSD- Samsung 830 Series 120 Gb
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
2 CD ROMs
GPU- EVGA 550Xti 3d
OS- Windows 8 iso image burned onto DVD
« Last Edit: 18/06/2012 08:40:19 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2012 07:14:36 »
While sometimes you can run a RAID with slightly different drives, I would not recommend running a RAID with such vastly different technologies as a SSD and HDD, although perhaps the technologies would compliment themselves with 1:1 mirroring.

Look up information on your motherboard.  There was an option in the older Dell desktops (5 years ago or so), where one could force it to scan for SATA drives.  Otherwise it would default to not finding all the hard drives.  With the Dell desktops, it may have been a function key or control key to force the BIOS to scan for hard drives.

I haven't tried Windows 8.  Is the setup similar to previous versions?

Can you make a DOS boot disk, and put fdisk on it?  Then poke around a bit.  If I remember right, there may be a fairly low level option "Primary", or "Make Primary".  With Windows XP, running a full setup from the installation media, it would enable all the necessary drives.  Ahhh, the issue I was having occasionally was when Ghosting an image, sometimes it wouldn't set the drive as "Primary".  Starting the XP setup, it would usually force it back to "Primary", and the ghosting could be done.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2012 11:52:03 »
... In the BIOS it recognized the HDD, but it never showed up in My Computer ...

If you add an external HDD to a Windows OS sometimes it does not appear in "My Computer",
You have to go into "Disk Management" and assign this external drive a letter, then it appears in "My Computer".
« Last Edit: 17/06/2012 12:11:03 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2012 12:34:08 »
I reccomend setting up an USB dongle for loading in operating systems, then you will find various repair functions are available
« Last Edit: 17/06/2012 13:02:02 by syhprum »

Offline sciencekid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2012 13:03:47 »
While sometimes you can run a RAID with slightly different drives, I would not recommend running a RAID with such vastly different technologies as a SSD and HDD, although perhaps the technologies would compliment themselves with 1:1 mirroring.
I haven't tried Windows 8.  Is the setup similar to previous versions?

Windows 8 setup was easy, incorporating sharing accounts, similar to a phone, into a computer. I ran the operating system for 2 hours, before I messed with RAID. Once I did that, Windows 8 crashed, and said at startup "Missing Operating System" Help!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/06/2012 15:05:43 »
An operating system run from a "live CD", (which is an OS that only runs in RAM),
 could enable you to examine / modify (e.g. wipe) the contents of the SSD installed on that computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_live_CDs
« Last Edit: 17/06/2012 15:47:13 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/06/2012 16:02:29 »
It never does any good trying to patch up operating systems once they get screwed up reformat and start again. 

May I suggest you download "Dualbootpro" very useful in these situations.
« Last Edit: 17/06/2012 19:18:05 by syhprum »

Offline sciencekid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/06/2012 22:57:01 »
I finished installing WIN8, and it rated the computer that I built at 7.9 as the windows experience index score
 ;D

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #8 on: 18/06/2012 07:49:04 »
First, why unplug it? why not just follow the instructions in setup and aim the OS install at the solid state drive. Even then, when you detached it for the install wwhy didn't you just reconnect and run "add hardware" in the control panel?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 18/06/2012 07:49:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums