The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

Which Aspect Would This Be Most Detrimental In?

Emotional
0 (0%)
Physical
0 (0%)
Physiological
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Deadly Torture?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
Deadly Torture?
« on: 23/06/2012 04:46:41 »
Alright, now before I go any further, this is for a "book" I've been writing.
What i want to know is the effects the body will undergo when this kind of torture is invoked.

To start the victim is strapped to a standing restraint device.  Similar to a cross like shape where the feet, hands, chest and forehead are strapped tightly.  The head of this device has a tilt mechanism, that will forcibly draw the head back as far as the control wants.  A cloth is pulled over the persons face and there is a constant supply of water showering down on them.  This can be cold or hot and can be mixed with alcohol to prevent water freeze to reduce the temperatures bellow freezing point.  The alcohol will also be effective on open wounds, as it hurts quite a bit.  The device is also connected to an electrical grid that can send jolts of electricity into the victim.  It is also an option to inject the victim with mild hallucinations.

So it is a combination of water boarding, electrical torture, the alcohol pain if induced, and thermal torture.  I don't think i have to spell out the emotional, mental, and physical pain the person would undergo.

This is purely speculation, so please tell me your thoughts.
« Last Edit: 23/06/2012 04:54:22 by Voxx »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly Torture?
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2012 07:58:14 »
Personally I don't think torture is justified.  Although, I realize that not everyone lives in a utopia.

If you rub salt (or capsaicin or whatever) in a wound, you will habituate to it very quickly.  So one might have a strong initial pain sensation on the first exposure, but that will be greatly reduced over time.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 23/06/2012 08:38:34 »
Deadly torture???

Have you met the wife?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/06/2012 15:49:54 »
What is the point of making torture even worse?
It doesn't work anyway.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/06/2012 15:55:57 »
Lol, love the comments and I do agree that torture is a pour response to resistance.  Although It may be crude, it can reveal results and until we get brain wave analyzers to read minds I think it's our best choice in the worst case scenario.

Back to the subject, I think salt would be a good supplement, but I think alcohol would be a sharper, but short pain to begin with.  It would burn very sharply for a short time and then the thermal temperatures would begin to take effect as well.  Something I forgot to mention would be the IV that would release a flow of amphetamines to keep the person awake through the proceedings.

The point of making torture worst is emotional, psychological, and physical pain tolerance.  Every person has a natural pain tolerance and a breaking point, where they don't care about the thing they are trying to keep secret, they just want to be done with what is at hand.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/06/2012 21:37:16 »
So primitive - we've moved on to much more damaging ways of torturing people. Lock them up in a room with a TV playing endless essipodes of EastEnders, or any one of dozens of similar soaps.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/06/2012 02:18:45 »
So primitive - we've moved on to much more damaging ways of torturing people. Lock them up in a room with a TV playing endless essipodes of EastEnders, or any one of dozens of similar soaps.

Lol, yes psychological torture is a prime example of today's methods, but water boarding is stated to be one of the most efficient tortures in all of history; even over bamboo finger torture.  Mixing that with hallucinations, amphetamines, electricity and thermal torture?  I wouldn't call that primitive, maybe a bit eccentric, but not primitive.  The amphetamines keep the victim awake and quite alert to what is happening to them.  Electricity in itself is very painful to the nerves, and thermal conditioning is very harsh not only on the body, but the mind as well.  Hallucinations have psyche effect that could be quite terrifying, especially with what is being done with your body.

Further thoughts?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/10/2012 17:01:16 »
It's largely useless as a interrogation technique, but as a way to degrade oneself (the guy torturing) from any common humanity it gotta be priceless. Do it once, stink forever..What people seem to miss is that using those kind of techniques you can get anyone to admit to anything, which is why no honest judge ever accept evidence obtained this way, the inhumanity of it ignored. It's a relic from the middle ages where witches that float need to get burned :) the only innocent ones being those that drown. But it tells you a lot about those wanting to believe in it.

Too many want life to be a action thriller, where there is 'the good' versus 'the bad. But wars just contain people, just people.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/10/2012 15:04:52 »
Arguably the worlds most effective interrogator was Hanns Scharff, a WW2 luftwaffer officer and he did not lay a finger on the people he was extracting information from.
You should be able to find "The Interrogator: the Story of Hanns Scharff, Luftwaffe's Master Interrogator" in a decent library or internet book store.

There was a programme on BBC R4 about him the other day.

I reckon it would be a far more interesting a plot device than physical torture...

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31/10/2012 16:41:27 »
The GESTAPO often famed for its crude interrogation techniques was held in contempt  by professional interrogators who knew they could extract better information by more subtle techniques

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 31/10/2012 16:41:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums