The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are silver nanoparticles as skin treatment safe?  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Talia

• View Profile
Are silver nanoparticles as skin treatment safe?
« on: 28/06/2012 17:34:44 »
I've some problems with acne so I bought Silverex soap (Silverex silver soap that contains 99.99% pure silver has excellent effect in skin protection during the shaving as well as that for women with sensitive skin.Those who have many problems in their skin speak highly of this silver soap after having used it.
Keep your sensitive and delicate skin healthy by using natural components. It would make up your face clean and moist through smooth and abundant foams in face washing. It also clears up the wastes from the skin, gives elasticity to it, and keeps it smooth and moist after washing your face.
).

This soap contains silver nanoparticles so I wonder how it is dangerous to health. I read various reviews on the internet so... would you recommend me to use this soap?
« Last Edit: 28/06/2012 22:42:32 by chris »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are silver nanoparticles as skin treatment safe?
« Reply #1 on: 30/06/2012 11:19:10 »
Too much and you become a smurf.........

Offline Talia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2012 12:43:13 »
OK, thanks for the reply, but I am interested in the answer.

Offline james oliver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/06/2012 13:14:44 »
Hi
  The absolute best thing for your skin is natural spring water (as opposed to tap/shower water). Every week they will have a new product (with it's own infomercial), singing the praises of some "natural element". All of these products are just that, products. Our skin was never meant to be washed as often as we do and with the crappy tap water we use, and with all of the "products" we use.
  Eat a simple diet, and exercise - that is the best way to address your skin issues - from the inside out.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/06/2012 19:52:52 »
The "smurf" reference is on about this

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/06/2012 23:08:21 »
Hi
The absolute best thing for your skin is natural spring water (as opposed to tap/shower water).
Ok,
So, what is the big difference between spring water, and tap (well) water?  I do have a year-around spring out back which I've been planning to tap for irrigation.  I can't guarantee it is as "clean" as my well.  Certainly all the neighborhood animals know where the spring is.

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/06/2012 23:42:42 »
Hi
The absolute best thing for your skin is natural spring water (as opposed to tap/shower water).
Ok,
So, what is the big difference between spring water, and tap (well) water?  I do have a year-around spring out back which I've been planning to tap for irrigation.  I can't guarantee it is as "clean" as my well.  Certainly all the neighborhood animals know where the spring is.
I would expect that in most industrial nations the tap water would be cleaner. 

Offline Talia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/2012 17:04:13 »
The "smurf" reference is on about this

Aha. Yes, I know about porfiria. That is one of the reasons whay I'm interested in right answer.
But these soap contains ionic silver.

Offline james oliver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/07/2012 17:37:17 »
Talia
  Again, the best advice is to stay away from these products. I know that is not the sexy answer - but it's the right one. 3 or 4 years from now there will invariably be some report stating the damage that this product can do to your skin. Products get recalled all the time, and lawsuits are levied all of the time because the manufacturers are just looking for the latest edge in their respective industries.
  This competition for sales hinders so many normally practical approaches in the development of drugs and topical treatments etc, and they just don't care so long as they have a disclaimer written on the label.
  Keep it simple and use fresh spring water to clean with, and eat whole foods to get your bio back on track - and exercise.   Oliver

Offline Talia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/07/2012 19:28:32 »
Oliver, thank you very much. I will do that.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/07/2012 19:51:00 »
I wonder if there is more hype than anything else.

Since people apparently are taking the silver internally (as well as using silver utensils), it seems as if the negative effects are minimal (other than the blue skin in very high doses).

Some people have been using zinc creams on their skin for years.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/07/2012 21:34:57 »
Argyria is a problem from taking in too much silver whether it's initially ionic or not. However if it's ionic then it's not nano-particulate.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 01/07/2012 21:34:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums