The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Heart Attack While Unconscious?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
Heart Attack While Unconscious?
« on: 03/07/2012 04:21:36 »
I've watched more than a few movies lately that depict people who go unconscious and into a dream like state where they live nightmares of their worst imagination.  In most of the show's they are then sent to a hospital where the movie's claim they can do nothing.  Now, I know that the human heart can only take so much stress, but what I don't understand is how hospitals can do nothing for them in this state?  As far as I can tell, they are only in a dream like state in the psyche.  Don't we have drug's that can press them into a deeper mental slumber or some other means to deal with this kind of situation?

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
Re: Heart Attack While Unconscious?
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2012 22:27:43 »
Anyone have any input?

Offline distimpson

• View Profile
    • Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2012 23:38:21 »
you are talking about something in a movie like it is real. isn't this just fiction?

I believe in some cases barbiturates are used to induce a coma thereby reducing brain activity.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2012 00:20:33 »
you are talking about something in a movie like it is real. isn't this just fiction?

I believe in some cases barbiturates are used to induce a coma thereby reducing brain activity.

It is very true that it is fiction, but what if someone came into a hospital unconscious and his heart rate was nearing the point of a heart attack.  Is that fiction?

If this was the case, what would be done to try and stabilize him?

Offline distimpson

• View Profile
    • Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2012 02:07:01 »
Well, I'm not a physician, the few times I've been around the ER they usually treat the symptoms.  So drugs for tachycardia, beta blockers. Unconscious patients are difficult, you have to test to rule out what might have caused the symptoms, for example, illicit drug use.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2012 06:32:19 »
Well, I'm not a physician, the few times I've been around the ER they usually treat the symptoms.  So drugs for tachycardia, beta blockers. Unconscious patients are difficult, you have to test to rule out what might have caused the symptoms, for example, illicit drug use.

Alright, then let's just say for an example:

A patient comes in unconscious with a super accelerated heart beat, they are reaching over 200 beats per minute and there were no signs of drugs in their system.  What would you think of doing?

The action of beta blockers reduces cardiac force so that the palpitations go more unnoticed, but there is no direct relationship between taking beta blockers and the actual inhibition of the ectopic beats. The palpitations in this case are occurring as a consequence of pneumogastric nerve stimulation (the vagus nerve at the level of the intestines) and subsequently causes random evoked potentials to excite the heart.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2012 08:40:49 »
Probably give them some beta-blockers to get the rate down a bit...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2012 08:40:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length