The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A real life robot avatar controlled by the human mind  (Read 2041 times)

Offline roi

• First timers
    • View Profile
This thread is inspired by another "Has reality become boring" one. Scientist have managed to create an algorithm that can translate human brain thoughts scanned by a fMRI machine, into movements of a robot, an Avatar so to speak: newbielink:http://www.dreevoo.com/en/content.php?id=725 [nonactive]

What are your thoughts on the subject and what does this mean for the future reality boredom?

Oh, Im new btw and happy to have found this forum. :)

Offline distimpson

• View Profile
    • Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
Re: A real life robot avatar controlled by the human mind
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2012 15:27:02 »
Hi Roi, haven't seen avatar but I thought it was more of an interface to a fantasy world than real world robots as with Surrogates.

A brain interface to real world robots would have many practical applications, the military often drives such innovations.

In Minority Report they had a brain interface for entertainment, better than 3d. With Matrix the perceived universe is a fantasy.

Brainstorm was another scifi with a brain interface. For what it's worth, I'd say there is a good chance this type of scifi could eventually become fact. Maybe a more invasive Borg type interface? Who knows what future humans will call normal. Could a Borg be bored or is it irrelevant?

Offline roi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2012 14:25:58 »
Hey,

Pandora in Avatar movie was actually a "real world", scientists used humanoid hybrids called avatars that were controlled by genetically matched humans, never mind though.

It probably is irrelevant the boredom part,  will the human race as we know it cease to exist and are the "borgs" only a logical step forward in the human evolution? How smarter or better can we get, I think it was about time we start working less, enjoying life and make the technology work for us.

Offline Science_Freak

• First timers
  • Dream Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/07/2012 16:40:16 »
Avatar was a great movie. Memorable.

I don't think science is even near to the kind of technology displayed in the movie.

Then, maybe, I am wrong - science does surprise.

Offline roi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/07/2012 17:17:57 »
Not near, but getting there in slow steps, check this out: newbielink:http://www.dreevoo.com/en/content.php?id=760 [nonactive] now combine it with what we have been debating and you got yourself an avatar. ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 23/07/2012 17:17:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums